Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
Hi,

I have installed 10.14.6 update yesterday.

I noted some interesting things. During update MacBook powered down, then I powered it again and shows up white Apple logo on black background again but progress bar back away instead of progress forward. After a while MacBook powered down, then I needed to power it again by itself and then update take up to 20 mins and finished with success.

I do not understand this situation, is it normal?

Regards.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
The reboot took a while on mine - everything else worked fine after it was installed. You might want to reset the PRAM/VRAM

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
I updated via software update on my 18,3 iMac yesterday. Immediately after installation, I began getting crashes in not just Finder, but almost every app I opened. Where can I get the full 6.04 Gb installer? Anyone know? 10.14.5 threw a number of issues also, such as Screen Recording app only recording one time, then I would have to restart my computer, so I could capture one more recording. Also on 10.14.6 xCode 10.15 would not allow iCloud Drive to update.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
I updated via software update on my 18,3 iMac yesterday. Immediately after installation, I began getting crashes in not just Finder, but almost every app I opened. Where can I get the full 6.04 Gb installer? Anyone know? 10.14.5 threw a number of issues also, such as Screen Recording app only recording one time, then I would have to restart my computer, so I could capture one more recording. Also on 10.14.6 xCode 10.15 would not allow iCloud Drive to update.

To reinstall, boot into Recovery and choose Reinstall macOS. https://support.apple.com/HT204904

Reactions: Kevbasscat

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
Hi,

I have installed 10.14.6 update yesterday.

I noted some interesting things. During update MacBook powered down, then I powered it again and shows up white Apple logo on black background again but progress bar back away instead of progress forward. After a while MacBook powered down, then I needed to power it again by itself and then update take up to 20 mins and finished with success.

I do not understand this situation, is it normal?

Regards.
Normal ... may be: it happens on my macbookPro all the time and NEVER on my iMac.
But in the end everything seems OK.
Don't worry, be happy.
;JOOP!

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
To reinstall, boot into Recovery and choose Reinstall macOS. https://support.apple.com/HT204904

Do you get the full installer in recovery, or just the update?
[doublepost=1564045509][/doublepost]
Try to reinstall 10.14.6 with the Combo Update https://support.apple.com/kb/DL2010
You can get the full installer from App Store https://apps.apple.com/app/id1398502828

Thanks, I just went to the app store, punched in "Mojave" in search and there it was, the full installer. I've heard that if it doesn't show. first time, to retry ill it does show up.Thank you for the links, I'll keep them handy.

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
Normal ... may be: it happens on my macbookPro all the time and NEVER on my iMac.
But in the end everything seems OK.
Don't worry, be happy.
;JOOP!

I downloaded the full installer second time. First was a combo update however, I'm still having crashes in many apps, especially Finder, iTunes, Inna, Voice Memos on my iPhone had not synced with the new Voice memos on my iMac in iCloud. Xcode 10.15 would not allow iCloud Drive to connect. I checked Activity Monitor. It had FFMPG at 346% cpu. I have 32gb ram, and Finder had allocated 18Gb just for it. xpc Services were at 12GB. Then crazy things happened, I installed 5KPlayer, an app which was advertised here on MR and it failed, stating first that Activity monitor said it couldn't open it. Then Migration assistant couldn't open it. However that app became the default app to open all .mov files, WITHOUT the app icon showing anywhere, and no record of it installing. I have NEVER had ANY on any Mac issues in 20 years, and I'm sad to see that streak come to an end. Not sure where to begin to get back to zero, other than doing a complete backup and a clean install, and I can't help thinking it's 10.14.6 the culprit, because I didn't have these issues prior to the update. If that's not the cause, what game plan and preventative measures do I need to take, in case this is something I caused? Sorry for being the village idiot

I have recently downloaded a few media editing apps. Logic Pro X 10.14, DaVinci 16, Audacity, and a few others, however none show up using anything heavily in Activity Monitor, nor crash. I am heavily using Core Media tools and apps and recourses. Maybe wondering if Developer recourses are having issues with audio and video since all that goes through Xcode.

The whole system still seems in technical terms...wonky. It just doesn't flow smooth, or I guess it seems glitchy, in that sometimes the right click mouse fails, or saving things fails, or if I'm on a tab in Finder, it will after a couple of minutes just revert to the previous Finder page, over and over. That and it's a beachball party when doing random things. I thought a fresh install would repair it, since none of this happened on 10.14.5, which is where I downloaded and used the media editing apps without issue.

Any ideas would be wonderful and very appreciated, thank you.

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
In my opinion it's seldom the programs (applications from elsewhere) that cause trouble.
From here I can not see what system settings were changed for whatever reason.
I can only say that over the years I have become very defensive:
- if an application demands unreasonable access to anything I drop it.
- if whatever utilities or products demand access to any resource I don't see a reason for it, I refuse.
- my own programming is solely done in JAVA which language simply CAN NOT access the system.
- whenever I change preferences for any component in the system or application,
I make screen shots, so I can find out at any time what I've done, or what has been
changed without my consent.
;JOOP!

Sciuriware

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
Gelderland
I guess you formatted the disk from a bootable external medium to APFS?
Then I can't think of any other problem that damage to the installation data.
But I'm not the kind of expert that can "see for miles".
You gotta get a local help.
;JOOP!

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Do you get the full installer in recovery, or just the update?

It's the full installer. The key point about Reinstall from Recovery is that it can (and often is) used to install after a HDD erasure/replacement. It's also the recommended method if you're having issues booting your current OS install.

However... Since you've run the installer several times without resolving your issue, maybe, just maybe, it's not the OS installation that's causing your issues.

Have you tried booting to Safe Mode? If so, what's the result? https://support.apple.com/HT201262

Have you tried booting to a newly-created Administrator account? If so, what's the result? https://support.apple.com/HT204443

These techniques help determine whether third-party startup/login items, cached data, user-specific data/preferences may be contributing.

Now, the macOS installer does run Disk Utility as part of the process, but it also couldn't hurt to run Disk Utility > First Aid from Recovery.

I'd do all of these things before an erase/reinstall, since they all take substantially less time and effort.

Kevbasscat

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2016
Banning, CA 92220
In my opinion it's seldom the programs (applications from elsewhere) that cause trouble.
From here I can not see what system settings were changed for whatever reason.
I can only say that over the years I have become very defensive:
- if an application demands unreasonable access to anything I drop it.
- if whatever utilities or products demand access to any resource I don't see a reason for it, I refuse.
- my own programming is solely done in JAVA which language simply CAN NOT access the system.
- whenever I change preferences for any component in the system or application,
I make screen shots, so I can find out at any time what I've done, or what has been
changed without my consent.
;JOOP!

This is a fairly new machine. I don't change many settings, and certainly nothing out of the morn of a normal user. I don't try doing things from terminal ever, etc. I'm not qualified frankly and asI stated, not one. issue in 20 years, so I doubt seriously it's something I've done, or those issues would have reared their ugly heads years ago. I'm also quite protective on what I allow into it. I recently jumped someone on here who posted a "screenshot," when it was a web link, and opened the link up without my permission. Having shots of the changes you make is a great idea, thanks. So how do I troubleshoot this, and repair it?
[doublepost=1564065341][/doublepost]
It's the full installer. The key point about Reinstall from Recovery is that it can (and often is) used to install after a HDD erasure/replacement. It's also the recommended method if you're having issues booting your current OS install.

However... Since you've run the installer several times without resolving your issue, maybe, just maybe, it's not the OS installation that's causing your issues.

Have you tried booting to Safe Mode? If so, what's the result? https://support.apple.com/HT201262

Have you tried booting to a newly-created Administrator account? If so, what's the result? https://support.apple.com/HT204443

These techniques help determine whether third-party startup/login items, cached data, user-specific data/preferences may be contributing.

Now, the macOS installer does run Disk Utility as part of the process, but it also couldn't hurt to run Disk Utility > First Aid from Recovery.

Thanks, I'll try these out today and get back to you.

I'd do all of these things before an erase/reinstall, since they all take substantially less time and effort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.