Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamescharley22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2014
Kayenta, AZ
I'm in a pickle, everyone and I need guidance.

Okay, first after returning from a trip my Wi-Fi started acting up. Settings said it was turned off but the Menu Bar said it was on and nothing Wi-Fi worked, AirDrop was gone. I restart and the Menu Bar said Wi-Fi: No Hardware installed.

I took my MacBook five hours to my nearest Apple Store for repair, they took it and "repaired" it. I retrieved it, but I should've stayed in store because it said no Wi-Fi hardware was installed again after a few minutes of use. I go back and they said they'd ship it to their repair facility.

A few days later, I received an e-mail saying further action was required. My options were: pay $160 + tax for out of warranty repairs because of a dent they tried to say caused the issues or return without repairs. I don't even have $10, return. I get it in the mail, it works! Then it stops, then it works, then it stops, and then it works.

I look at my dent, then I look up pictures of my MacBook Pro model torn down, the dent isn't even near the wireless card or the connector! The dent actually touches the hard drive ribbon but it doesn't gouge it or apply pressure and it's been like this for months now. Bluetooth also works fine without issue.

I'm afraid if I take it back and explain my findings, they'll still say "Dent: $160 + tax."

What should I do?

Last edited:

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
What model is it? Sounds either like there is a short in your wifi cable, a loose cable, or a dying card.

You may be in luck if your model has the card not embedded in the screen assembly, which would mean much easier replacement.

If apple is quoting you $160 I doubt it would be just a shorted cable though...

Or go to the apple store (maybe call ahead...) and see if they would be willing to take another look at it. With any luck they might remember you and see if they can get it working again.

jamescharley22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2014
Kayenta, AZ
I have a Mid-2012 15-inch MacBook Pro.

I know exactly where the AirPort/Bluetooth card and connector is: back right corner (card) and SuperDrive posterior (connector).

It went to sleep and the same thing happened when I woke it up (contradicting Wi-Fi statuses in the menu bar and from Settings), so I restarted and now it's returing the status as not installed.

I'd love to go back to the Apple Store (I love wandering around in there, it's like running around a candy store [with no money]), but the nearest one is five hours away.

friedkimchi

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2011
Sounds like a loose connector?

Have u tried looking at ifixit to repair it yourself?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If you already opened it, I'd look at wifi cable to make sure the connection is solid

jamescharley22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2014
Kayenta, AZ
Fixing it myself sounds like the best option but I just don't want to do that. If something more happens to it, I'd rather it have been done by the repair technician than myself.

I already popped the bottom off (that's as far as I'm comfortable doing) and the card is just fine and so is the connector.

I'm gonna try calling ExpressLane again to get this sorted out.

jamescharley22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2014
Kayenta, AZ
Another update!

After talking with a senior advisor for about half an hour, I was told the Apple Store I visited did not follow procedure and all damaged (dented topcase) or malfunctioning parts (Wi-Fi) will be covered for free. I get my box Monday or Tuesday.

jamescharley22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2014
Kayenta, AZ
So far, my Mac has indicated no Wi-Fi was installed only once since my last update. This was quickly fixed by running hardware diagnostics and restarting into OS X. I've seemed to have luck with keeping my Wi-Fi alive by keeping my MacBook from sleeping.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.