Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MahaA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2017
Hamburg
I just replaced my optical drive by a SSD on my MBP mid 2012.

Whenever I start my mac it says that the new disc cannot be read and I'm asked whether I want to initialise or eject.

No matter what I do, I cannot seem to erase the newly installed SSD. It says "Erase process has failed."
I'll attach some screenshots with more information about the SSD and so.

Another info: The SSD shows up in disc utility but not in finder.

Can you help me out please?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b5bh0leqo58ho78/Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 00.06.35.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vuemfyxc10uag4j/Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 00.09.44.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jocdhy2e2ogof1a/Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 00.14.12.png?dl=0

Last edited:

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
If this is a new Evo 850, then my guess is that the bracket you're using (presuming you're using a bracket) to connect the SSD to the optical port has a defective connector. The less you spent on the bracket the more likely this is the case. You can test this by getting a USB-SATA disk enclosure and putting the SSD in it and see if it works. If it still doesn't, that you probably have a defective SSD and should return it (presuming it's new). If it works in the enclosure, then my guess would be that the bracket is the problem - the bracket has electronics in the connector (at least mine did) so it's not simply a straightforward connector.

I would not try swapping out the HDD with the SSD to see if it works as the SATA cable is fragile and you can cause problems by handling it (then you'd have to replace the cable and the bracket). It's also not uncommon for the SATA cable to work with HDD's and not SSD's and then you may mistakenly believe that the SSD has a problem when the cable isn't working properly.

MahaA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2017
Hamburg
Thanks for your input. I'll try to replace the optical adapter first since I always had problems with the optical drive when I wanted to burn CDs.

treekram

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2015
Honolulu HI
Thanks for your input. I'll try to replace the optical adapter first since I always had problems with the optical drive when I wanted to burn CDs.

There's likely no relationship between the problem you're having now and the problems you had with the optical drive. The optical drive Apple put in the MBP's wasn't that good and conversely, I have not seen anybody on this forum who had a problem connecting a working HDD or SSD on the 2012 MBP optical port (earlier models could have issues) if they had a high-quality bracket/connector.

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
It sounds like you know what the problem may be.

However, try putting the SSD in the normal position and then try the procedure again to see if it works. If yes, then it's probably the connector or the bracket.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Take the SSD OUT OF the Macbook.
Hook it up to a USB3/SATA dock or adapter/dongle.
Try to initialize and set it up that way.
If successful, put it back INTO the Macbook.

Sounds like you may have to replace the adapter cable INSIDE the Macbook as well.

MahaA

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2017
Hamburg
Next week I'll be back in town and I will replace the cable which connects the optical bay (in this case the new SSD) with the logic board first. If this won't fix it I'll go for a SATA-USB disc enclosure.
I'll keep you posted. Thanks for your input so far.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.