Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Traviscottrell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2016
Gold Coast Australia
Hi,

I recently Traveled from Siouth Africa to Australia with my iMac 21' as hand luggage with Qantas.
The reason I am posting this is because prior to my departure I could find very little info or people that have done this.

I decided that the original I mac packaging was far too big and bulky to take as hand luggage.
So I went to the local box supply store and purchased some double wall pieces of card board. Unfortunatly I don't have pics of the boards but the were about 1.5m X 0.7m and I had four.

I went for a matchbox style box as you need to take the computer out of the box at the security scan points, the box allowed the mac to be exposed but still protected in a 'cup' of cardboard and bubble wrap.

As you can see the new box made it into the hand luggage bin and was dead on 7kg which was within allowance for Qantas.

Once it was inside the storage area above the seats there was plenty of space and the box could have acualy been a bit larger.

The dimensions of the box are

length across - 56cm
width bottom - 20cm
width top - 6cm
height - 53cm

Its important to note that these dimensions are for the 'external' match box piece
the internal match box piece slid into it nice and snuggly.

I bought some nylon strapping which i sewed together around the box swell.

If you are going to try this just be careful when handling the box as it will slide out if it is tilted at an angle.

IMG_1509.JPG
IMG_1510.JPG
IMG_1512.JPG
IMG_1567.JPG
IMG_1568.JPG
IMG_1832.JPG
IMG_1833.JPG
IMG_1834.JPG
IMG_1835.JPG
IMG_1836.JPG

So it is possible to travel with the IMac 21' as hand luggage.
I also carried my camera bag which weighed 8kg and I had no issues ( I did dent ask at the check in if I was allowed to take two items as hand luggage, because it then gives them a reason to tell you its not allowed.)

I wrapped everything in a few layers of bubble wrap too which was super important to absorb the vibrations and impacts.

I hope you find this helpful.

Reactions: MadDane and Dubadai

MadDane

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2015
Very good and useful post! I looked into this a few months ago, and could not find much information either. I am sure this will come in handy for many people :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Good luck, personally, I'd be nervous that the bubble wrap would be inadequate. I see how people jam things into the overhead compartments for my domestic flights, I would assume they do the same for international.

Hopefully everything works out for you.

Reactions: AFEPPL

Traviscottrell

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 24, 2016
Gold Coast Australia
Good luck, personally, I'd be nervous that the bubble wrap would be inadequate. I see how people jam things into the overhead compartments for my domestic flights, I would assume they do the same for international.

Hopefully everything works out for you.

Thanks Maflynn. I traveled at the beginning of the month with the iMac, I may have been lucky. I also had no issue on the domestic flight in South Africa which is notoriously small and packed. The design allowed for a bag to be placed on top of the box once inside the over head compartment , I used this space for my girlfriends hand bag so that other bags could only be placed on either side.

I wish I had taken more pics of the Mac wrapped in bubbles and inside the box.

Reactions: maflynn

Maxout

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2018
Thanks Maflynn. I traveled at the beginning of the month with the iMac, I may have been lucky. I also had no issue on the domestic flight in South Africa which is notoriously small and packed. The design allowed for a bag to be placed on top of the box once inside the over head compartment , I used this space for my girlfriends hand bag so that other bags could only be placed on either side.

I wish I had taken more pics of the Mac wrapped in bubbles and inside the box.
[doublepost=1532339582][/doublepost]Thanks this helps out a lot, you're right even in 2018 there's absolutely nothing to help you repackage your iMac.

Maxout

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2018
I wonder the same thing for 27". Any idea?
Well I don't have any tools to do this because I'm moving, so I'm thinking of going to a UPS store or to Apple store and have them repackage my IMac, I will bring the photos from this post.

Hawaiian Starman

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2001
Somerset West, South Africa
Thank you. Was wondering the same, but about the 27". I live part-time in South Africa. Customs can be tough, especially bringing in large tech products. Curious what you encountered when going through Australian customs?

Maxout

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2018
Thank you. Was wondering the same, but about the 27". I live part-time in South Africa. Customs can be tough, especially bringing in large tech products. Curious what you encountered when going through Australian customs?

Well if it fits into that dimension for the carry-on luggage then you should not have problem, unless their regulations or different come up but I wouldn't think so.

AdrianaG

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
Hi,

I recently Traveled from Siouth Africa to Australia with my iMac 21' as hand luggage with Qantas.
The reason I am posting this is because prior to my departure I could find very little info or people that have done this.

I decided that the original I mac packaging was far too big and bulky to take as hand luggage.
So I went to the local box supply store and purchased some double wall pieces of card board. Unfortunatly I don't have pics of the boards but the were about 1.5m X 0.7m and I had four.

I went for a matchbox style box as you need to take the computer out of the box at the security scan points, the box allowed the mac to be exposed but still protected in a 'cup' of cardboard and bubble wrap.

As you can see the new box made it into the hand luggage bin and was dead on 7kg which was within allowance for Qantas.

Once it was inside the storage area above the seats there was plenty of space and the box could have acualy been a bit larger.

The dimensions of the box are

length across - 56cm
width bottom - 20cm
width top - 6cm
height - 53cm

Its important to note that these dimensions are for the 'external' match box piece
the internal match box piece slid into it nice and snuggly.

I bought some nylon strapping which i sewed together around the box swell.

If you are going to try this just be careful when handling the box as it will slide out if it is tilted at an angle.

View attachment 618219 View attachment 618220 View attachment 618221 View attachment 618222 View attachment 618223 View attachment 618224 View attachment 618225 View attachment 618226 View attachment 618227 View attachment 618228

So it is possible to travel with the IMac 21' as hand luggage.
I also carried my camera bag which weighed 8kg and I had no issues ( I did dent ask at the check in if I was allowed to take two items as hand luggage, because it then gives them a reason to tell you its not allowed.)

I wrapped everything in a few layers of bubble wrap too which was super important to absorb the vibrations and impacts.

I hope you find this helpful.
What airline allowed this? I’m flying American Airlines and their carryon size allowance is 53x36x23 (22”x14”x9”). My 2021 iMac measures 21.5”w x 18.25”h. (UPDATE - American Airlines allows a garment bag of L + W + H = 51”. Will be looking to pad my mac for travel. Fortunately will be flying first class and may have more leeway.)

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.