Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ramee.nana

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 18, 2015
Colombo, Sri Lanka
I manage a small network of 18 computers with 6 Macs. Our ISP has a data cap for broadband use and I need to monitor internet (only internet. Not LAN) usage for each user on the network.

I run NetLimiter for Windows PCs and set internet quota usage limits per user. However, I haven't been able to find an app that does the same for macOS.

While I am aware of solutions like DD-WRT and Firewall solutions, I prefer a simple app installed to each PC/Mac as this company doesn't have a full time IT admin to troubleshooting DD-WRT routers or Firewalls.

If you could suggest an app, utility, or terminal based method of tracking internet only usage on Mac, I'd be very grateful.

FYI: Apps like PeakHour 4 and Bandwidth+ can't seem to distinguish between LAN and Internet usage. And Tripmode can't seem to breakdown usage for specified times of day and reset on specified date every month.

Thanks so much for everyone who takes the time to support me on this.

Last edited:

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
I manage a small network of 18 computers with 6 Macs. Our ISP has a data cap for broadband use and I need to monitor internet (only internet. Not LAN) usage for each user on the network.

I run NetLimiter for Windows PCs and set internet quota usage limits per user. However, I haven't been able to find an app that does the same for macOS.

While I am aware of solutions like DD-WRT and Firewall solutions, I prefer a simple app installed to each PC/Mac as this company doesn't have a full time IT admin to troubleshooting DD-WRT routers or Firewalls.

If you could suggest an app, utility, or terminal based method of tracking internet only usage on Mac, I'd be very grateful.

FYI: Apps like PeakHour 4 and Bandwidth+ can't seem to distinguish between LAN and Internet usage.

Thanks so much for everyone who takes the time to support me on this.

Not sure if this will do what you need.

https://www.tripmode.ch

hobowankenobi

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2015
on the land line mr. smith.
If you don't find a solution, you may consider circling back to a better router. One time setup, and covers all new machines, all platforms, wireless, etc.

Once setup, easier to maintain, monitor and troubleshoot one log for all devices. Quotas...less common. You could block offending URLs, assuming they are not work related.

As for Mac clients, I don't think they limit by quota, but more monitoring options:

http://codebox.org.uk/pages/bitmeterOs
https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

zoiko192

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2018
world
Install openwrt in a typical router, it seems difficult but it is not, in 30 minutes will be monitoring. You can limit the use of broadband and set hours. It does not require much power.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.