Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BreadButter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2022
I have an old 2013 Macbook air that I’ve tried to recover using Internet Recovery but twice got error 2003F. Third time’s the charm and it is now installing Big Sur from Internet Recovery.

What could have caused the 2003F error? Read a few articles online and some of them mentioned that is could be caused by malware/virus (amongst other things).

Now I’m kind of worried that I could have a virus, I did erase the drive and am installing it on the formatted drive.

Could it be possible, someway somehow, that a freshly formatted drive, would get a 2003F error, and it be caused by a virus?

bogdanw

macrumors 603
Mar 10, 2009
Poor Internet connection is the most likely cause.
Apple requires now an Internet connection even when using a bootable installer.
"(A bootable installer doesn't download macOS from the internet, but it does require an internet connection to get firmware and other information specific to the Mac model.)"
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
If this OS is now successfully installed, I wouldn't worry about this.
Just ... get on with things... :cool:

rovostrov

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2020
I have an old 2013 Macbook air that I’ve tried to recover using Internet Recovery but twice got error 2003F. Third time’s the charm and it is now installing Big Sur from Internet Recovery.

What could have caused the 2003F error? Read a few articles online and some of them mentioned that is could be caused by malware/virus (amongst other things).

Now I’m kind of worried that I could have a virus, I did erase the drive and am installing it on the formatted drive.

Could it be possible, someway somehow, that a freshly formatted drive, would get a 2003F error, and it be caused by a virus?
This may help.. https://www.easeus.com/computer-instruction/fix-error-code-2003f.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.