Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

laurapalmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2020
Salt spring island
Currently trying to share an internet connection from my MacBook Pro 2015 10.15.5 Catalina to my iPhone XR iOS 13.5

I can only seem to set up a Bluetooth connection - and its not working great. It has no trouble pairing but goes in and out a lot.
I couldn't seem to figure out another way to set up a wifi hotspot etc, looked up instructions with all the other internet sharing options but I'm doing something wrong or its not working.
Anyways I would appreciate some help if this would give me a better connection - or help to make the bluetooth connection better

I should also say - the reason I'm using internet sharing for my phone as opposed to just connecting to the wifi is I just don't have a strong enough wifi signal on my phone, I'm sharing wifi from cottage next door. This was the same when I had a Lenovo laptop and 6s. When I had the Lenovo I just easily turned on the Mobile Hotspot and then connected to the network on my 6s, it gave me a much better connection than trying to connect directly to the wifi on my phone, so I am trying to do the same now with my new devices.

thanks a lot for your help

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Can’t share a WiFi connection over WiFi, only over Ethernet, Bluetooth, or usb. Might consider a WiFi repeater that gives you a local strong signal.

laurapalmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2020
Salt spring island
Can’t share a WiFi connection over WiFi, only over Ethernet, Bluetooth, or usb. Might consider a WiFi repeater that gives you a local strong signal.
yep..just finally realized that. had no idea. that is too bad. yeah its really slow, and disconcerting since Ive been comparing with my 6s and the 6s has a better bluetooth connection.
Would the wifi repeater need to go where the router is or there a dongle that I could plug directly into my Mac?

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Depends on the model but they are standalone devices that pick up the WiFi signal and repeat it on a different SSID so it’s your own private network. Requires power and best placement is in between router and devices to connect. In your case I would place it next to a window near the cottage next door.

laurapalmer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 21, 2020
Salt spring island
Depends on the model but they are standalone devices that pick up the WiFi signal and repeat it on a different SSID so it’s your own private network. Requires power and best placement is in between router and devices to connect. In your case I would place it next to a window near the cottage next door.
right, I'm looking into some of the usb wifi dongles, but am wondering if the ones with AP mode which allow you to set up a wifi hotspot - if that would then still work from a Mac? as it creates its own hotspot I think?
im hesitant about setting up a wall plug type at the cottage as I wouldn't have access to it very often, its used as a BnB. Not even sure if my landlady would be ok with me setting it up there

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Put the repeater in your place but as close to the other cottage so nothing blocks the signal. The advantage of doing it this way over using your Mac is maintaining internet access even if the Mac is off or you take it with you. Here’s one I used for my father-in-law in his independent living apartment. Signal was very weak in certain parts of the apartment so this picked up the signal where it was strongest and rebroadcast it through the rest of the space. Netgear WiFi Range Extender

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.