Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IdeaPunch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2021
Hey Everyone,

After two years of development, we’re thrilled to announce the launch of Breveto, a beautiful writing app for Mac! You can use it for note-taking, writing, journaling, task lists, project planning, dev notes; you name it!

Breveto comes feature-packed with an exceptional writing experience. Quickly format text with the inline menu, immerse yourself in focus mode, create your own personalized themes, use markdown shortcuts, and more. All while the cursor glides smoothly across the screen.

Staying organized has never been easier. Effortlessly drag and drop files into place with Breveto’s unique file tree organization. Organize files into nested folders and pin essential files to the top!

Breveto has tons of other awesome features such as the a built-in dictionary, AI features, outline view, import, export, customizable keyboard shortcuts, printing in beautiful styles, automatic backups, and so much more.

Breveto is free to download, and if you love the app, upgrade to Breveto PRO to unlock all the amazing features it offers. We’re currently offering 20% off your first year!

We would love to hear your feedback!

Reactions: macsplusmacs

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Yes, Breveto PRO costs $20 per year, with the first year starting at $15.
Looks like a lovely, powerful app that I would be inclined to use if it offered iOS support as well as a one time fee. Granted, $20 isn't a lot but, when there are so many wanting a sub, it adds up quickly.

What about data encryption ? Does the app encrypt before sending to the cloud? Can you sync locally if you don't want to use the cloud?

edited: How about a special grandfathered price for early adopters? I could be persuaded to do $15 a year with cross-platform support.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

AZhappyjack

Suspended
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Hey Everyone,

After two years of development, we’re thrilled to announce the launch of Breveto, a beautiful writing app for Mac! You can use it for note-taking, writing, journaling, task lists, project planning, dev notes; you name it!

Breveto comes feature-packed with an exceptional writing experience. Quickly format text with the inline menu, immerse yourself in focus mode, create your own personalized themes, use markdown shortcuts, and more. All while the cursor glides smoothly across the screen.

Staying organized has never been easier. Effortlessly drag and drop files into place with Breveto’s unique file tree organization. Organize files into nested folders and pin essential files to the top!

Breveto has tons of other awesome features such as the a built-in dictionary, AI features, outline view, import, export, customizable keyboard shortcuts, printing in beautiful styles, automatic backups, and so much more.

Breveto is free to download, and if you love the app, upgrade to Breveto PRO to unlock all the amazing features it offers. We’re currently offering 20% off your first year!

We would love to hear your feedback!

No matter how awesome your app is, I will not be renting it... it's just not going to happen...

• Love
Reactions: StoneJack

IdeaPunch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2021
Currently you can export to markdown, html, and plain text. We have more export formats planned, along with improving the existing formats.

Nothing will happen to your files if you cancel your subscription. Based on the feedback we've gotten, we're going to make one of the export formats free so you can always leave Breveto. We don't want you to feel locked in!

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
Will you offer a onetime pay option in the future for the Pro version? I don't have a Mac but some here despise subscription models due to their tendency to feel like additional bills (which I can understand)

IdeaPunch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2021
It's definitely something we're actively thinking about. Based off of feedback we've realized that the sentiment of a lot of people is they aren't willing to pay for a subscription. Some of Breveto's features like the AI are not very sustainable in the long run with a one time purchase, so if we did offer it the AI would probably be some type of add-on.

Truthfully we aren't sure what the best payment model is that makes everybody happy and also supports it's intensive development. We're a tiny company with big goals!

Arid

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Granted $20 a year isn't a lot but it's still sub. Making it a one time payment will definitely be more attractive for some of us anti-subscription users.

kirbyrun

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2009
If the app is updated regularly, I don't see the $20 as a problem. I'd happily pay that much for a great app to get new features every year and become more useful to me.

I paid for Scrivener 2 many, many years ago, then ponied up for Scrivener 3 when it came out. In the in-between years, I paid nothing, but there were very few improvements to the app in that time, other than bug fixes, really. If Breveto improves every year, then I would consider the $20 an upgrade cost.

Time will tell.

IdeaPunch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2021
Breveto is currently in its early stages. In the coming months, we'll be focused on enhancing and refining the existing feature set while also working to get an iOS beta version out. After that we have a lot of plans for major features!

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Interesting. I've been a Ulysses user for a long time and have been looking for alternatives ever since it went to a rental model.

The first thing that jumps out at me is that the only option for the sidebar is a vertical nested folder view. Ulysses offers two levels, more like the Finder's column view. This becomes really important when you get a folder with a lot of files inside it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.