Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EGS1550

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
Can anyone recommend good invoicing software for a sole proprietor / freelance?

I have 3500+ customers so I cannot use watered down free online versions that limit you. I also want to avoid paying a monthly fee. I would prefer a desktop program rather than online as those can also be slow and what happens when that company no longer exists? I want to control my data

I have used Billings for many years. They went to a subscription service years ago. They no longer update their desktop software and the "pro" version has had very few updates in many years. At some point the desktop version won't work with future versions of OSX as they are not 64 bit. Every time I update my OS I am afraid it will break the software

The only major player I see is Quickbooks. Any other options?

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
3,500+ customers and all those "requirements" leaves you with exactly one option. QuickBooks Pro. But you're probably going to want to get the PC version (which means running a version of Windows on your Mac). Quicken doesn't have a great reputation in the Mac-using world, and I'm not sure the basic version of Quicken will work for you (it's more for personal finance type of stuff).

Unfortunately, the world is moving toward subscription services... and it won't be long before there's no other option.

EGS1550

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2012
I have heard about issues in the past. Has the reputation not improved for Quicken? I thought I read somewhere that the feature set between mac/pc is better than before instead of lagging behind as was the case before. Also I doubt that the PC version could access all my contacts and I would have to add them in manually instead of linking automatically to Apple Contacts

nexesnex

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
I use AccountEdge Pro. I really like the software. I used to used Quickbooks but got sick of them... The support and general usability of AccountEdge is pretty good. And, best of all, it's not a subscription service product.

MacGizmo

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Has the reputation not improved for Quicken?
Nope. They're still one of the most hated Mac developers.

I thought I read somewhere that the feature set between mac/pc is better than before instead of lagging behind as was the case before.
It IS better than before. And it's STILL lagging behind Windows versions. It's the difference between a boxer getting knocked out in the first 30 seconds of Round 1 vs. getting knocked out in the last 10 seconds of Round 1. You're still getting your teeth knocked down your friggin pie-hole.

The Mac version of Quicken is missing a bunch of features found in the PC version of Quicken. QuickBooks for Mac has also been updated, but the desktop app is quite limited compared to the cloud-based subscription plan version.

Also I doubt that the PC version could access all my contacts and I would have to add them in manually instead of linking automatically to Apple Contacts
You could simply export your Apple contacts as vCards and then import those into the PC Quickbooks app. Not the perfect solution, but it would likely work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.