Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phamtinkt88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2017
Ho Chi Minh, VN
Hi all,

My iphone 7 plus, since upgrading from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1 and now is 10.3.2. The battery life has been really really bad.

1 night idle in flight mode and low power mode consumed 15%. I reset factory then it was better but still dropped 9% in the same settings.

Another thing I notice is battery still drains when the phone is turned off, up to 20% a day. Is it hardware issue?

Any ideas what I should do now, please help.

Thanks in advance,
Tin

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Hi all,

My iphone 7 plus, since upgrading from 10.2.1 to 10.3.1 and now is 10.3.2. The battery life has been really really bad.

1 night idle in flight mode and low power mode consumed 15%. I reset factory then it was better but still dropped 9% in the same settings.

Another thing I notice is battery still drains when the phone is turned off, up to 20% a day. Is it hardware issue?

Thanks in advance,
Tin

If your phone loses 20% in 24 hours while turned off, it is a hardware problem. Need to get it to Apple to diagnose.

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2017
Hi all,

Thanks in advance,
Tin

That makes two of us! Same issue, it's hardware related so the battery needs to be replaced!!! Too bad that I don't have Apple Store in my country and i'm afraid of replacing it as a battery!!!

phamtinkt88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2017
Ho Chi Minh, VN
Just contacted authorized service, my iPhone is still under warranty so if it's battery issue, it's will be replaced. If it's hardware issue, I'll have a new phone. They are still investigating and will get back in a few days.

Hi Pandi, try to search authorized repair service in your place, not always Apple store.

Reactions: pandi.ruvina

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2017
Just contacted authorized service, my iPhone is still under warranty so if it's battery issue, it's will be replaced. If it's hardware issue, I'll have a new phone. They are still investigating and will get back in a few days.

Hi Pandi, try to search authorized repair service in your place, not always Apple store.

Good for you! in my country there aren't Apple Store, neither authorised repair service, just second hand shops, so it my be a little frustrating for me, when I will replace battery, hoping that will not be an hardware issue!

phamtinkt88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2017
Ho Chi Minh, VN
Notice the same problem on my iPad Air 1st gen. It's on the lastest version to be exact it is on 10.3.2.
Hope it's not hardware issue with your ipad. If you aren't familiar with restoring iOS, I think you should go to Apple store to seek help. Otherwise, you can try to backup then reset factory your ipad to see if it's iOS issue or hardware issue.

thecore762

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
I also noticed my battery has been going down quicker with the new update.
Man, I think sometimes Apple and their updates deliberately try to make our battery life worse so we can upgrade to newer phones when they come out.

phamtinkt88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2017
Ho Chi Minh, VN
Good for you! in my country there aren't Apple Store, neither authorised repair service, just second hand shops, so it my be a little frustrating for me, when I will replace battery, hoping that will not be an hardware issue!
Hold on. Apple just informed me battery drained when phone is off can be due to iOS, not necessary hardware issue. They will confirm the exact issue in next few days, will keep you posted.

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2017
Hold on. Apple just informed me battery drained when phone is off can be due to iOS, not necessary hardware issue. They will confirm the exact issue in next few days, will keep you posted.

Thank you for posting that! Please keep me updated, i always had this doubt about iOS as software issue bug, because before updating, the iPhone was running ok on iOS 9, so to me seems that might not be hardware related!!!

Perihelion

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
Every time I do an update the next 3-4 days I get terrible battery life. I attribute that to iOS reindexing everything on the phone. After a few days the battery drain returns to normal. How long has it been since you updated?

phamtinkt88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2017
Ho Chi Minh, VN
Every time I do an update the next 3-4 days I get terrible battery life. I attribute that to iOS reindexing everything on the phone. After a few days the battery drain returns to normal. How long has it been since you updated?
It abruptly happened 4 days after I updated iOS, not immediately right after the update. And it lasts until now is nearly 2 weeks.

phamtinkt88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 19, 2017
Ho Chi Minh, VN
Thank you for posting that! Please keep me updated, i always had this doubt about iOS as software issue bug, because before updating, the iPhone was running ok on iOS 9, so to me seems that might not be hardware related!!!
Apple just got back today. It's hardware issue and they gave me a new phone. Hope it's not hardware in your case.

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2017
Apple just got back today. It's hardware issue and they gave me a new phone. Hope it's not hardware in your case.

Wow, that was hard to swallow! I hope that in this case mine would be only the battery to be replaced and not the entire phone, because in that case I would like to change to Android!!!

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2017
Seems like a massive overreaction. WTF.

Yeah, because maybe for someone might be difficult to buy a new phone, or maybe has worked very hard to get this dumb phone that won't stand to a single charge during day! So yeah, might be a massive overreaction WTF!!!

Perihelion

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2010
Yeah, because maybe for someone might be difficult to buy a new phone, or maybe has worked very hard to get this dumb phone that won't stand to a single charge during day! So yeah, might be a massive overreaction WTF!!!

They gave him a new phone. Sounds reasonable to me.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Even with 1-2 bars of signal at my house, I'll lose less than 5% overnight - averages about 3%. Verizon WiFi calling helps low signal I've noticed. When I sleep at places with max signal, I'll have 0% loss. 0% loss with airplane mode on too. I noticed that it helps standby to have my phone FACE DOWN when I sleep as well (I have DND 10pm-7am).

My 6+ and my 6s+ can last easily 3+ days on a single charge with my usage. I've done 5 days for fun but I have to use my phone less to do that.

pandi.ruvina

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2017
Even with 1-2 bars of signal at my house, I'll lose less than 5% overnight - averages about 3%. Verizon WiFi calling helps low signal I've noticed. When I sleep at places with max signal, I'll have 0% loss. 0% loss with airplane mode on too. I noticed that it helps standby to have my phone FACE DOWN when I sleep as well (I have DND 10pm-7am).

My 6+ and my 6s+ can last easily 3+ days on a single charge with my usage. I've done 5 days for fun but I have to use my phone less to do that.

That's impressive, it's just like a dream came true having an iPhone that lasts 3 days on a single charge!

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
That's impressive, it's just like a dream came true having an iPhone that lasts 3 days on a single charge!

IMG_2689.PNG
IMG_2690.PNG

Normal usage for me. Last iOS update gave me a nice boost. Have had this phone for over a year now. I'd say I'm probably a light to medium user. Some gaming but by usage Time you can see it's not a ton.

My wife uses her phone 6s+ heavily. Every hour of the day. Facebook instagram groupme. She has to charge at least once a day but she's on it all day. Me? About 2-3 hours.

At home I have 1-2 bars of Verizon. At work a tower is 2 blocks away so max reception there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.