Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HajiDiRobertis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2016
montreal, qc
I am not sure if this was already but it seems that since I installed iOS 10 on my iPhone 6s and iPad Air 2 Siri is ware both devices are in proximity of each other. Prior to iOS 10 if I say "Hey Siri" with both devices in the same room they would both respond (was quite humorous sometimes and anyoning other times). Since iOS 10 upgrade, if I say "Hey Siri" both devices turn on but only one of them responds. I tested it multiple ways and always the same result.

Is anyone else Experiencing this? Or was it announced and I missed it.

Cheers,
AJ

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Interesting, but how would it know which device to use? Based on most recently awoken by usage? That would require a query over handoff or iCloud before activating Siri.

Curious if this is an iOS 10 feature, or if one device just isn't working with Hey Siri on the iOS 10 beta.

HajiDiRobertis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 6, 2016
montreal, qc
Curious if this is an iOS 10 feature, or if one device just isn't working with Hey Siri on the iOS 10 beta.

I tried both devices separately, also unplugged the iPad Air 2 and plugged it back in (Hey Siri only works on that device when plugged in). They work as expected.

When I try them together one device responds completely and the other starts and stops within half a second. It's possible it hears the audible cue from the other device?

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
I tried both devices separately, also unplugged the iPad Air 2 and plugged it back in (Hey Siri only works on that device when plugged in). They work as expected.

When I try them together one device responds completely and the other starts and stops within half a second. It's possible it hears the audible cue from the other device?

If so, that's pretty genius. Nice find.

myname70

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2014
But this is the same question for Apple Watch and iPhone - both reply on Hey Siri. But sometime it is the iPhone, sometimes - the apple watch. No idea what is the logic - when will be the iPhone and the watch

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Just tested it with an iPad Pro and my iPhone, I am seeing the same thing.

From what I can tell, if it hears you on both it will respond on the device that you last used. So if you are on the iPad then it will respond on the iPad, if you were on your iPhone vice versa.

ipottersmith

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2016
If Siri is responding to the audio cue of the other device I'd wager that the second one to fire up is the one that answers, while the first uses the audio cue to shut itself off.

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
Bug in the voices setting they can't be changed. You can do what appears to change them but has no effect.

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
But this is the same question for Apple Watch and iPhone - both reply on Hey Siri. But sometime it is the iPhone, sometimes - the apple watch. No idea what is the logic - when will be the iPhone and the watch
The logic in this scenario is that you have to raise your wrist to activate hey siri on the watch, and both devices know when you raise your wrist, and its smart enough to only activate the watch, knowing you've raised your wrist for a reason. The reason it doesn't work sometimes is because of the input lag from the watch; the iPhone doesn't get the "I've been raised" signal from the watch quick enough to counteract siri waking up on the phone. Means either the phone is too fast or the watch is too slow (probably the latter).

As for the logic between iPhone and iPad, no clue on that one.

stevefeinstein

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2002
I am not sure if this was already but it seems that since I installed iOS 10 on my iPhone 6s and iPad Air 2 Siri is ware both devices are in proximity of each other. Prior to iOS 10 if I say "Hey Siri" with both devices in the same room they would both respond (was quite humorous sometimes and anyoning other times). Since iOS 10 upgrade, if I say "Hey Siri" both devices turn on but only one of them responds. I tested it multiple ways and always the same result.

Is anyone else Experiencing this? Or was it announced and I missed it.

Cheers,
AJ
Yea, they negotiate and all but one will defer. This was announced in the Keynote WWDC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.