Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JDrummond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2014
Hi all,

Has anyone had any success with disabling the EU Volume limits in iOS 10? Having jailbroken on 10.2, I've tried the various methods which were successful in iOS 9, but these don't seem to have carried over as functional tweaks. As a summary of what I have explored:

1. Using the option in "mikoto" - seems to have no effect at all.
  2. Installing the Flex 2/3 tweaks
    • "No Eu Volume Limit ios 9.0.2" - disables the visual warning yellow and red limits on the HUD, but again, no effect on volume.
    • "No EU Volume Limit + Volume Boost [Beta]" - disables the visual warning yellow and red limits on the HUD, but again, no effect on volume.
  3. Manually editing the plist files in:
    • /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.apple.celestial.plist
      • "canExceedEUVolumeLimit" set to "true"
      • "volumeLimits" dictionary
        • Set to "1.3", but resets to the default of "1" again following a reboot.
    • /System/Library/Frameworks/MediaToolbox.framework
      • Default, N61, N71, N71m
        • EUVolumeLimits.plist
          • "HighVolumeLimit" set to "1.2" - Persists following reboot, but has no effect.
          • "LowVolumeLimit" set to "1.2" - Persists following reboot, but has no effect.
        • RegionalVolumeLimits.plist
          • "HighVolumeLimit" set to "1.2" - Persists following reboot, but has no effect.
Does anyone happen to have any ideas?

Thanks

Jacob

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Can't you just turn it off here, or am I missing something?

Attachments

• IMG_4481.PNG
    IMG_4481.PNG
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,372
Reactions: Howl's Castle

JDrummond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2014
Can't you just turn it off here, or am I missing something?
You're missing something. That's the "recommended" level, which is even lower than the EU imposed restriction. Regulations imposed by the EU, limits the headphone output to a certain level so that we're not allowed to damage our ears. This is something our friends in the US are not restricted to in their flavour of iOS. It's been the same in all prior versions of iOS too, hence why people have made the above tweaks in the past.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I am really curious about the "imposed restrictions by EU", and the "recommended level" of headphone output, cause I almost always keep mine at half point of max volume to eliminate "suprise" during using headphone.
Mine is bought from AU, and does not have that setting in "volume limit".

Johnluke91

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2016
Italy
Last edited:

anyjungleinguy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2012
You're missing something. That's the "recommended" level, which is even lower than the EU imposed restriction. Regulations imposed by the EU, limits the headphone output to a certain level so that we're not allowed to damage our ears. This is something our friends in the US are not restricted to in their flavour of iOS. It's been the same in all prior versions of iOS too, hence why people have made the above tweaks in the past.

Have you got a source for this? I can't find anything on it.

stevenhadjez

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2017
Hey JDrummond. Thanks for pointing me to this thread. I have exactly the same situation described in your original post. Word for word.
Hope someone can help us out !!!!

JDrummond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2014

stevenhadjez

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2017
Yeah no luck for me either. Ive tried everything as well. Are you testing with cabled headphones or bluetooth? Ive been testing for results only with my AirPods, maybe thats an issue...

stevenhadjez

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2017
I just found this thread which was active all week. Its in german but google translate does a pretty good job. theres this guy who made some discovery about the iPhone 7. apparently theres only one file that matters

http://iszene.com/thread-182560-page-2.html
[doublepost=1489410268][/doublepost]The part that has me curious is that one guy says you need a reboot not a respring. He claims he tested and the respring is not enough and it only works after a full reboot. Personally, im jailbroken on yalu and its semi untethered. So after a reboot I have to re jailbreak. Do you think it could be a reason?
By the way, are you on iPhone 7 or lower ? Maybe its only on iPhone 7 that it does not work.

JDrummond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2014
I just found this thread which was active all week. Its in german but google translate does a pretty good job. theres this guy who made some discovery about the iPhone 7. apparently theres only one file that matters

http://iszene.com/thread-182560-page-2.html
[doublepost=1489410268][/doublepost]The part that has me curious is that one guy says you need a reboot not a respring. He claims he tested and the respring is not enough and it only works after a full reboot. Personally, im jailbroken on yalu and its semi untethered. So after a reboot I have to re jailbreak. Do you think it could be a reason?
By the way, are you on iPhone 7 or lower ? Maybe its only on iPhone 7 that it does not work.

I've always done a reboot, as that is what has always been required in my experience. I am using an iPhone 6. The instructions seem to be exactly the same as the previous link, though again, I do not see a difference.

Johnluke91

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2016
Italy
I thought you might try changing the string "canexceedeuvolumelimit" in the celestial.plist, putting "false" instead of "true".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.