Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LjMazz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2015
Hoboken, NJ
Hello Mac Rumors community! Long time lurker here : )

I have AT&T here in Hoboken, NJ just across the river from Manhattan. Since I've switched to the iOS 11 beta on my 7 Plus and especially with the latest update, I've been experencing extremely slow LTE speeds. I guess you can't even call them LTE speeds since my phone is basically a brick at this point until I connect to wi-fi. I can't even run speed tests on the network because it's so slow.

Furthermore, while i've never experienced great reception while actually using the phone as a phone with AT&T, with this latest beta update it's unusable at the moment. Call drops 90% of the time or I have connections where I can hear the caller but they can't hear me.

Has anybody else been having similar experience with AT&T or for that matter any of the other carriers with this latest beta update?

I read the article from a few days ago about AT&T and Verizon users experiencing slower LTE performance this year (which I've noticed even before the beta installation) but what my phone is doing now is absurd. I'm chalking it up to the beta at this point and hopefully with the next update it improves but when the new iPhone comes out i'm seriously considering finally making the switch to T-Mobile after over 10 years with Cingular/AT&T.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Reactions: adh328

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
I read the article from a few days ago about AT&T and Verizon users experiencing slower LTE performance this year
I have Verizon and while it is slower, it really depends on your market. In some areas Verizon/AT&T has more towers/bandwidth so the hit from UDP is not that bad while others have very little bandwidth deployed, so they get clogged up fairly quickly. Verizon has lots of spectrum deployed in my market so the speeds dropped from maybe 120 Mbps down on a typical day to 80 Mbps.

Also if you are planning to switch to T-Mobile, grab a prepaid t-mo SIM to test out coverage with a simply prepaid plan loaded on it already, because some people have issues with T-Mobile in buildings vs Verizon/ATT. You can get these dirt cheap on ebay for under $20 per month.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I recently switched from AT&T to U.S. Cellular and am experiencing the same thing. I had a knot of regret in my stomach until I remembered that I had seen something about LTE speeds being affected by this beta. I'm in the process of downloading iOS 10.3.3 IPSW and plan on downgrading tomorrow if this isn't resolved in the coming beta.

Reactions: twood65

LjMazz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2015
Hoboken, NJ
I have Verizon and while it is slower, it really depends on your market. In some areas Verizon/AT&T has more towers/bandwidth so the hit from UDP is not that bad while others have very little bandwidth deployed, so they get clogged up fairly quickly. Verizon has lots of spectrum deployed in my market so the speeds dropped from maybe 120 Mbps down on a typical day to 80 Mbps.

Also if you are planning to switch to T-Mobile, grab a prepaid t-mo SIM to test out coverage with a simply prepaid plan loaded on it already, because some people have issues with T-Mobile in buildings vs Verizon/ATT. You can get these dirt cheap on ebay for under $20 per month.

Good stuff, I have read the same (on here) about T-Mobile's issues with signal strength indoors. I will certainly consider grabbing a SIM to test out first before making the switch. Thanks for your response
[doublepost=1502046979][/doublepost]
I recently switched from AT&T to U.S. Cellular and am experiencing the same thing. I had a knot of regret in my stomach until I remembered that I had seen something about LTE speeds being affected by this beta. I'm in the process of downloading iOS 10.3.3 IPSW and plan on downgrading tomorrow if this isn't resolved in the coming beta.

Sorry you're having the similar issues that i'm experiencing. This morning my girlfriend, who has Verizon and a 6S Plus and I ran a little experiment. We both opened Safari and clicked on ESPN at the same time on our phones while we were on our respective LTE networks and of course hers loaded immediately and mine took minutes. If she had AT&T instead of Verizon that would almost certainly pinpoint that it's the beta that is causing the issue. I'm 90% sure it is regardless though.

I think i'm going to wait until the next update as well. Hopefully it's next week and the LTE issue fixed. I haven't seen anything posted about the beta affecting the LTE speeds though. If you have a link to an article or thread where you saw this i'd love to read it.

My other concern is i've read (on a few threads here) that people are having a lot of trouble downgrading back to iOS 10. So fingers crossed this next update works.

LjMazz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 24, 2015
Hoboken, NJ
No issues downgrading here. Turns out the issue wasn't iOS 11 though.

Good to hear it worked for you!

Oddly enough I was using the LTE on my phone during my nightly walk with my dog and it seemed a lot better. I'll never understand how this stuff works! lol

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
I am normally in Boston and noticed that my speeds are slower on the beta, but it depends on where I am. However in manhattan and Brooklyn this past weekend the speeds were really bad. I am not sure if that is an AT&T in NYC issue (my Verizon work phone was much faster), or a beta issue...

pitt1717

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
I had the same issue as the op. after todays update I called my wife on the way home (using CarPlay) and all was good. I later received a call as well and no complaints from the other end. also as stated the internet was slow on LTE, this seems to have been fixed as well.

Chazzle

macrumors 68020
Jul 17, 2015
I’ve been reading that iOS 11 users are getting better speeds and call quality after resetting their network settings. I would give that a go before reverting to iOS 10 or switching carriers.

victorpr777

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2017
I've had the exact same issues. I have a 256gb iphone 7 on AT&T. I actually brought it to an apple store and they said it was definitely the beta. I have had ios 11 since the day it was announced. It sucks because they had me go back down to ios 10.3.3. I already miss ios 11 and I just switched back yesterday. Also, because I have no computer I had no back up on ios 10 so now I had to set up iphone as new. I am hoping I can attempt this again with ios 11 beta 6 and hope the problem is fixed as this was definitely an ios 11 beta 5 thing since its never happened before.

Jaggrey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2015
Pembroke Pines, FL
I’m on T-Mobile and I had this issue starting with the last public beta. Data speeds were nonexistent and callers couldn’t hear me, and I was in the same areas where everything normally worked fine. I noticed when I called T-Mobile the phone gave up and switched down to 4G and everything started working. They said they weren’t doing anything that wood disrupt service. Anyway I decided to try to Reset Network Settings and once I did everything went back to normal.

yeah3x

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
I am experiencing this now even after a network settings reset. Going to downgrade because I can't even complete a call.

mia2sea

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2015

I have AT&T here in Hoboken, NJ just across the river from Manhattan. Since I've switched to the iOS 11 beta on my 7 Plus and especially with the latest update, I've been experencing extremely slow LTE speeds. I guess you can't even call them LTE speeds since my phone is basically a brick at this point until I connect to wi-fi. I can't even run speed tests on the network because it's so slow.

Furthermore, while i've never experienced great reception while actually using the phone as a phone with AT&T, with this latest beta update it's unusable at the moment. Call drops 90% of the time or I have connections where I can hear the caller but they can't hear me.

Has anybody else been having similar experience with AT&T or for that matter any of the other carriers with this latest beta update?

I read the article from a few days ago about AT&T and Verizon users experiencing slower LTE performance this year (which I've noticed even before the beta installation) but what my phone is doing now is absurd. I'm chalking it up to the beta at this point and hopefully with the next update it improves but when the new iPhone comes out i'm seriously considering finally making the switch to T-Mobile after over 10 years with Cingular/AT&T.

I’m having the exact same problem. It’s terrible.

yeah3x

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2014
See what happens if you turn off LTE on the phone. If it works when not on LTE then it sounds like the same problem.
So I installed the beta Saturday and did a phone reboot, networking settings reset, etc that day and nothing worked. I had slow LTE speeds, people I called heard constant cut outs of my voice, but Wifi speeds were still normal.

Yesterday, after a day of having the beta, I turned Wifi off, turned LTE on and off, then and tried another networking settings reset and rebooted my phone. For whatever reason something worked and my LTE speeds are back to normal. This was all tested in my home so I was getting the same LTE signal strength in the same location. Not sure what did it, but I would advise anyone to try another network settings reset before downgrading.

I have the iPhone 7+ if that matters at all.

adh328

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange County, CA

I'm experiencing all of this is places where i normlly have very good reception/speeds. All started with the latest public beta.

kmantia

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2017

I am experiencing the exact same thing. I cannot make a call where the other person can hear me unless i'm on wifi and its becoming a serious problem. I really hope they release an updated beta to fix this issue because i'm basically unable to make business calls whatsoever.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68030
May 27, 2014
I’m having this issue on the latest release of iOS. Can someone tell me how to fix it? I hate ios11 it makes my cell service terrible. Please help.

Reactions: blulegend

blulegend

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
Im having horrible reception on AT&T now. It will drop off LTE and latch onto a 4G with full bars but no data. It’s so annoying. I have to constantly go on and off airplane mode to get it to go back on the 1-2 hrs LTE. This is in a fringe area that did not have trouble before. iPhone 7 Plus.

KingBowser64

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Chicago, IL
Same. I was unable to use my ATT service for 30 minutes straight today.
ATT iPhone 7 Plus with iOS 11 (developer beta).
Could not do anything until I reconnected to wifi at home. I had full bars of LTE and could not use my service whatsoever. This is the 4th or 5th time this has happened to me now.

Reactions: magicschoolbus

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68030
May 27, 2014
This bug is making me re think buying another iPhone. Please fix this Apple. I literally have not stopped having this problem since I put iOS 11 on my phone. I even did a full wipe and installed from scratch, tried updating carrier settings, everything. My data speeds are non existant. Loading Yahoo on full LTE with Verizon - nothing happens. Just a blue loading bar that gets a quarter of the way there and stops. The photos on websites also crawl to load. Ever since iOS11 my phone has felt like an old 56K modem. I seriously cannot believe I ruined a perfectly good phone with this software update and I can't even go back to fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.