Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cubetto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2009
I used to quickly rearrange my apps in multiple thematic home screens using iTunes, moving also the screens around as a whole.
Now, without iTunes support, is there a way to, for example, create a new (almost) empty home screen page (besides the last one) or to move around the existing ones (so that even if you must create the new page as last one, you can then move it to your preferred position)?
Thanks

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
You can do the drag-n-drop action on the home screen now. So click and hold on an app, move it aside a little, then tap any other apps and it'll group them for you to drag onto another page. Even better, with the group of apps still "hovering," using your other hand to open up a folder, and drop them in - on a second page of the folder if you wish. It's way faster than before other than iTunes. Not sure if the position will correlate with which apps you tap first though.

Cubetto

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 1, 2009
I'm aware of the new features to move groups of apps, but that is going to help just a little.
One advantage of the old iTunes function was that you could experiment, put blank pages, move stuff around until you were satisfied with the new layout, and then sync everything. I concede that moving the single app in iTunes was slow, but you could easily take all the time you needed until you were satisfied with the result.
Now drag-n-drop on the device helps, but I miss the capability of creating a blank page on the spot to drop the apps in.

fiveainone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
Was that function removed in the lastest iTunes? I'm not aware of this since I haven't used it in awhile. It's definitely easier on iTunes.

With the drag-n-drop, I just tested it.. Say you have a page of apps (no folders,) you can grab the last app, then tap the rest going backwards up to the top, and when you release, it'll reposition in order. If you release that group of apps on another page full of apps or folders, it'll push everything to the next page. This works if you have a full page of apps. But I'm guessing you like to have some variety on how many apps each page contains. But hey, it's way better than before. You could technically group the rest of the apps and just move them down the next page and so on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.