Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PilgrimSoul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
I'm still using an iPhone 5s running iOS 10.3.3. It works great BTW, just slower than the latest phones. Other iPhone 5s users out there: Have you upgraded to iOS 11? Can you recommend it?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Yeah I'm on iOS 11 on the 5S. It's still perfectly usable. A trifle sluggish at times as it was with iOS 10, but nothing too bad.

iOS 6/iOS 7 on an iPhone 4. Now that was intolerable.

Have an iPhone 5S on 11.1, can corroborate to this as well.

Slightly sluggish in certain areas, but def way usable than 4S on iOS 9 and 4 on iOS 7.

Only issue I would raise is that Camera and Notes apps takes ~2 seconds to open, and Low Power Mode makes the phone more sluggish when turned on. I know it throttles the CPU to a certain extent, but it wasn't this bad initially.

Audigy

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2012
It's not just the eventual slower UI interactions(which are bearable), it's the rise of energy consumption that ruins it.

With each new major iteration of iOS, the kernel/system code complexity gets thicker and at the same time harder for older hardware to process. Unfortunately there's not amount of optimization that will ever fix that. Some specific new features eventually get removed due to absent co-processors and lack of specific hardware that helps alleviate all that extra load, but that's not enough. For the 5S(I have one) I think we reached a point of saturation on iOS11 that makes me think that the wiser decision, for user experience sake, is to stay on 10.3.3.

Reactions: JM

FatherJack1980

Suspended
Dec 31, 2015

I'm using an iPhone 4 on ios 7, since it can't get any higher. Perfectly usable for me and am writing this on my phone. The only thing that I can recall, is that Twitter sometimes freezes Safari (don't have the Twitter app as I not that interested in the dotard)

Reno Raines

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2015
Yeah I'm on iOS 11 on the 5S. It's still perfectly usable. A trifle sluggish at times as it was with iOS 10, but nothing too bad.

My experience as well. I use my iPhone 5s as an iPod Touch now but it is on iOS 11 and is totally usable.

Reactions: Beeplance

Vivian125

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2017
Have an iPhone 5S on 11.1, can corroborate to this as well.

Slightly sluggish in certain areas, but def way usable than 4S on iOS 9 and 4 on iOS 7.

Only issue I would raise is that Camera and Notes apps takes ~2 seconds to open, and Low Power Mode makes the phone more sluggish when turned on. I know it throttles the CPU to a certain extent, but it wasn't this bad initially.
For me, iPhone 5 on iOS 10 is faster than iPhone 5S in iOS 11.

Running an iOS 11 on iPhone 5S is MUCH CLOSER to Performance of the 4S in iOS 9 than to iPhone 5 on iOS 10.

iPhone 5 So far is the first iPhone ever created DID NOT STUTTER, STILL RAN SMOOTHLY, on it's Last iOS 10.
iPhone 5S is maybe, however there are some areas that 5S on iOS 11 is worst than 4S on iOS 9, when launching some apps.

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
It's not just the eventual slower UI interactions(which are bearable), it's the rise of energy consumption that ruins it.

With each new major iteration of iOS, the kernel/system code complexity gets thicker and at the same time harder for older hardware to process. Unfortunately there's not amount of optimization that will ever fix that. Some specific new features eventually get removed due to absent co-processors and lack of specific hardware that helps alleviate all that extra load, but that's not enough. For the 5S(I have one) I think we reached a point of saturation on iOS11 that makes me think that the wiser decision, for user experience sake, is to stay on 10.3.3.
This is a great forum post.

-knowledgeable
-objective
-respectful

Thank you
[doublepost=1512076981][/doublepost]
For me, iPhone 5 on iOS 10 is faster than iPhone 5S in iOS 11.

Running an iOS 11 on iPhone 5S is MUCH CLOSER to Performance of the 4S in iOS 9 than to iPhone 5 on iOS 10.

iPhone 5 So far is the first iPhone ever created DID NOT STUTTER, STILL RAN SMOOTHLY, on it's Last iOS 10.
iPhone 5S is maybe, however there are some areas that 5S on iOS 11 is worst than 4S on iOS 9, when launching some apps.
Good ol' 32 bit coding. It didn't get mucked up with the 64 bit coding and 5s. (5 didn't get some things because it was 32 bit, but it helped make it run smoother I bet).

Reactions: Vivian125
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.