Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peroddmund

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
I have been using personal hotspot from my iPhone to my MacBook almost daily in iOS 10, after updating to iOS 11 it NEVER connects.

I’m using the feature where I activate the hotspot directly on my MacBook, but even if I manually turn hotspot ON on my iPhone it won’t connect.

So I did some testing:
I turned on hotspot manually on my phone, then I used “connect to other network” on my MacBook. I had to write the network name “My iPhone” and the network password manually, and guess what, then it actually connects perfectly all the time. But it’s a super hassle process to go through each time.

This is insanely irritating and seems like an idiotic bug on apples side. Anyone know a fix without deleting everything on my phone?

thislsmadness

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
Activating hotspot from my mbp is how I connect to my phone everyday and I have not encountered this issue. Are you using beta firmware on either device?

whg

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2012
Switzerland
My personal hotspot with iPhone 7+ worked well until today. Yesterday evening I upgraded to version 11.2.2 from 11.2.1. I use a MacBook Pro 15" (2015 model without dGPU) with High Sierra version 10.13.2.

I had to activate the public hotspot and connect with an USB cable to get Internet connection through my personal hotspot. After successful connection I could remove the cable and deactivate the public hotspot, and the personal hotspot is still working as I write this.

I will see next day if all this needs to be repeated, or if it was a single glitch. What are you doing, Apple?

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
I had an issue with iOS 11 where my iPhone 7+ wouldn't show up in my "Personal HotSpot" list on my iPad. It always did on iOS 10 and I could activate it remotely from the iPad. Meaning, I could just open up the iPad, click on "<iPhone 7+>" in the list and it would activate the Hotspot and connect. iOS 11 initially broke that and I had to manually start the HotSpot on my iPhone and then connect as just a regular Wifi device.

What eventually fixed it was just logging out of iCloud on my iPad and then logging back in. It's been working ever since for me, even after I upgraded to an iPhone X.

peroddmund

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
Activating hotspot from my mbp is how I connect to my phone everyday and I have not encountered this issue. Are you using beta firmware on either device?
No beta software
[doublepost=1516178089][/doublepost]
I had an issue with iOS 11 where my iPhone 7+ wouldn't show up in my "Personal HotSpot" list on my iPad. It always did on iOS 10 and I could activate it remotely from the iPad. Meaning, I could just open up the iPad, click on "<iPhone 7+>" in the list and it would activate the Hotspot and connect. iOS 11 initially broke that and I had to manually start the HotSpot on my iPhone and then connect as just a regular Wifi device.

What eventually fixed it was just logging out of iCloud on my iPad and then logging back in. It's been working ever since for me, even after I upgraded to an iPhone X.
Thanks for the suggestions. Will logging out and inn again of iCloud cause any issues/headaches? Everything on my phone and mac is using iCloud, and im afraid logging out will cause hassle. For example: will all my photos be deleted since Im using iCloud photo library?

achappy

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2017
No beta software
[doublepost=1516178089][/doublepost]
Thanks for the suggestions. Will logging out and inn again of iCloud cause any issues/headaches? Everything on my phone and mac is using iCloud, and im afraid logging out will cause hassle. For example: will all my photos be deleted since Im using iCloud photo library?

It didn't cause an issue for me. Once you log out, all iCloud data will be removed (photos, etc). Once you log back in, everything will redownloaded. Since I have "Optimize" storage turned on, it wasn't that big of a deal for my photos. I would suggest making sure you are on a fast Wifi when you do however in case you have a large library.

peroddmund

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
It didn't cause an issue for me. Once you log out, all iCloud data will be removed (photos, etc). Once you log back in, everything will redownloaded. Since I have "Optimize" storage turned on, it wasn't that big of a deal for my photos. I would suggest making sure you are on a fast Wifi when you do however in case you have a large library.
Perfect, I’ll try it this weekend!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.