Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingtutsbutt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2017
My iPhone 7 has recently been showing weird Japanese (I think) characters where the AT&T used to be, as well as a yellow sun symbol. All located in the status bar. This started after I upgraded to iOS 11 and it only stays for a few seconds. I will add a screenshot next time I notice, but has anyone else seen this or know why it's happening?

Reactions: deancathy

kingtutsbutt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 9, 2017
Here's a screenshot of the issue.

Attachments

• IMG_1890.PNG
    IMG_1890.PNG
    539.2 KB · Views: 2,392

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
It's what AT&T looks like when unicode encoding gets corrupted.

"I'm sure you figured out it's okay, that's a glitch with rendering AT&T. 'A' in ASCII is 0x41, '䄀' is unicode U+4100. 'T' in ASCII is 0x54, '吀' is unicode U+5400. '&' in ASCII is 0x26, '☀️' is unicode U+2600. Something in the beta is converting between 8-bit and 16-bit by adding the zeros on the end instead of the beginning."

From https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/4p9gwk/i_am_was_just_on_my_phone_and_my_carrier_switched/

Josh_chajet

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2017
My iPhone 7 has recently been showing weird Japanese (I think) characters where the AT&T used to be, as well as a yellow sun symbol. All located in the status bar. This started after I upgraded to iOS 11 and it only stays for a few seconds. I will add a screenshot next time I notice, but has anyone else seen this or know why it's happening?

The same thing happened to me when I was on a trip and it just switched from T-Mobile to the same exact characters as you had. I don’t know what the problem was though.

robvalentine

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
I had the same issue when i landed at jfk... I was roaming from a UK phone... went away when I left jfk and returned when I arrived back for my flight home

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.