Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
Has anybody else experienced this?

I've been using the iPhone 7 Smart Battery Case with my iPhone 8 for months with no issues. The battery case would discharge first while using it (saving the iPhone battery), and it charged right up using any charger with no problems.

I upgraded the phone to iOS 12.1.3 recently, and now I noticed the battery case doesn't seem to work properly. It doesn't charge with the phone in it (but charges correctly by itself), and when I use it, I notice the iPhone now discharges first.

This website by Apple seems to imply you can't use a Smart Battery case with the iPhone 8 and iPhone X.

Did Apple deliberately kill iPhone 7 Smart Battery Case use on iPhone 8? Can anybody confirm whether they have the same problems or is their battery case working properly on an iPhone 8?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Many have posted no issues using the XS case on the X except camera cutout not centered. Maybe your case is just malfunctioning. I think you still can downgrade to 12.1.2 then you can see if it starts working right again.

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2007
Many have posted no issues using the XS case on the X except camera cutout not centered. Maybe your case is just malfunctioning. I think you still can downgrade to 12.1.2 then you can see if it starts working right again.

I don't think its the Smart Battery Case malfunctioning. I have a iPhone 7 for work, and put the Smart Battery case on that, and it seems to be functioning properly. That phone also was upgraded to iOS 12.1.3 as well.

So, the only difference is the iPhone 7 versus the iPhone 8. And before iOS 12.1.3, I could interchange that case on either phone with no problems.

I like your idea of downgrading to iOS 12.1.2. Let me try that. Thanks.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.