Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harrisondavies

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 21, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Having installed the iOS 12.1 update, everything is snappier. The animations are a smoother and everything feels more refined. And yes, even safari is loading pages that much quicker. The battery appears to be lasting longer too.

When I was using public beta 5 things were smooth. But this is unreal. What a difference. I noticed it immediately on my first swipe.

Is it like taking a sugar pill that your doctor says is cure all wonder drugs? Maybe, but does anyone agree?

My Xs Max just screams speed. Even Geekbench has risen.

Last edited:

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
Having installed the iOS 12.1 update, everything is snappier. The animations are a smoother and everything feels more refined. And yes, even safari is loading pages that much quicker. The battery appears to be lasting longer too.

When I was using public beta 5 things were smooth. But this is unreal. What a difference. I noticed it immediately on my first swipe.

Is it like taking a sugar pill that your doctor says is cure all wonder drugs? Maybe, but does anyone agree?

I admire how positive you are but can’t say I agree on every part. Maybe you was unlucky and didn’t get the snappier iOS 12 speed until 12.1...

Reactions: harrisondavies

Guda.FL

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2015
12 was much quicker than 12.1 for me. I have not had cellular or wifi issues. 12.1 feels like a step back for me, slower animations and app loading.

PatrikCoC

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2016
On my Pixel 2 XL, I had full 4G while on my XS Max it was either No Service or 2G. Let's see if iOS 12.1 fixes that...

Guda.FL

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2015
On my Pixel 2 XL, I had full 4G while on my XS Max it was either No Service or 2G. Let's see if iOS 12.1 fixes that...

8Plus had better reception than Xs, but I have this feeling its hardware related not software.

calibru_2good_4u

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2016
Hmm, I've noticed tons more frame drops on my XS Max since jumping to 12.1. Most notable when opening apps or invoking the app switcher. Safari feels exactly the same. Never had any of the LTE/Wi-Fi issues as others did.

Yeah, Apple is playing with our nerves... I observe something like they want to slow down the older devices , most noticeable is iPhone X .. I think they trying to optimise A12 Bionic and they leave behind A11

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Things also been feeing noticeably "snappier" on my iPhone 7, but I'm somewhat more in the mindset of attributing it to something along the lines of a "placebo effect" than anything else.

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007
Yeah, Apple is playing with our nerves... I observe something like they want to slow down the older devices , most noticeable is iPhone X .. I think they trying to optimise A12 Bionic and they leave behind A11
The performance throttling is only there to deal with batteries that present too much impedance to provide optimal current, i.e. batteries that have degraded by a certain amount due to use and charging cycles. It's not accurate to say "they are slowing down older devices", either they implement these system protection features or your phone will randomly shut down, which would create even more of a ruckus if millions of iPhones started shutting down randomly due to degraded batteries. Apple is trying to be proactive in really the only way they can because they are operating at the whim of current li-ion technology.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
The performance throttling is only there to deal with batteries that present too much impedance to provide optimal current, i.e. batteries that have degraded by a certain amount due to use and charging cycles. It's not accurate to say "they are slowing down older devices", either they implement these system protection features or your phone will randomly shut down, which would create even more of a ruckus if millions of iPhones started shutting down randomly due to degraded batteries. Apple is trying to be proactive in really the only way they can because they are operating at the whim of current li-ion technology.
This is all well and good but what is the logic behind activating these shutdown prevention measures at 85%? That seems like a pretty high percentage to me. In my opinion, activating these throttling measures at or below 50% would seem reasonable and if the phones are in fact shutting down unexpectedly at the 80-85% capacity mark, it seems like they need to reevaluate how they measure battery capacity.

Just my .02.

Reactions: jagolden

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is all well and good but what is the logic behind activating these shutdown prevention measures at 85%? That seems like a pretty high percentage to me. In my opinion, activating these throttling measures at or below 50% would seem reasonable and if the phones are in fact shutting down unexpectedly at the 80-85% capacity mark, it seems like they need to reevaluate how they measure battery capacity.

Just my .02.
They aren't activating simply at 85% capacity, they are activating when there's a power draw issue (usually connected to the health of the battery). And the 80% capacity mark is essentially the insdustry standard for noticeable degradation when it comes li-ion batteries. It's based on current battery technology and chemistry, not basically some sort of made up number or something unique to some manufacturer.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
They aren't activating simply at 85% capacity, they are activating when there's a power draw issue (usually connected to the health of the battery). And the 80% capacity mark is essentially the insdustry standard for noticeable degradation when it comes li-ion batteries. It's based on current battery technology and chemistry, not basically some sort of made up number or something unique to some manufacturer.
The more you know...

Thanks for the info.

Reactions: jhall8

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
12.1 has been pretty bad on my iPhone 8. Lots of dropped frames, not responding to touch, intermittent inductive charging, screen doesn't always wake when removing from inductive charging, app freezing, and extreme battery drain. I'm going to hard reboot a few more times, and maybe reset the network to hopefully help.

archvile

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2007

Just my .02.
Batteries deteriorate on an exponential scale, not a linear one. So 85% is not neccesarily 85% out of 100%. It (the power management controller) has determined that the battery is unable to provide optimal levels of current to whatever is demanding it, due to the impedance.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
My X performance is far better on iOS12 than the iOS11 which is what it shipped with. Not sure what your evidence is on slowing down older devices, 12.1 hasn’t slowed my device down one bit and Geekbench has actually gone up from 12.0.1 scores.

calibru_2good_4u

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2016
I’m still shocked. I have really lucked out. Has anyone tried a completely fresh install to see if that makes a difference?

I’ve done a dfu install and it’s slow , stuttering , Face ID is a little bit slow .. and it’s a kind of lag with the animations. It’s like the phone it’s struggling to push the animations ... iPhone XS Max here ..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.