Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oddiecz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 7, 2010
Have any of you tried iOS 12 on your iPhone 5S? How is it holding up? I did not upgrade to iOS 11 out of fear of significant lag. There are really big reasons for me to upgrade to iOS 12, but I would hate to make my phone unusable. How is the performance of the beta? Battery life? (Not just compared to iOS 11, but also earlier versions of iOS.) Thanks!

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Thanks for that feedback! That would mean that an iPhone 6 with iOS 11 will run better on iOS 12 then ?

Yes. It will run better than 11. I actually installed it on my iPhone 6 and there was a jump in performance from 11. Unfortunately some of my apps were crashing so I had to go back to 11.4.1. Even my iPhone X runs better on 12 than 11.

Reactions: AlexMaximus

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes. It will run better than 11. I actually installed it on my iPhone 6 and there was a jump in performance from 11. Unfortunately some of my apps were crashing so I had to go back to 11.4.1. Even my iPhone X runs better on 12 than 11.
Planned obsolescence indeed. ;)

rukind2

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2012
PNW
With prices of some iPhone models above $1K I think an iOS update that is past generations friendly may keep some of us from upgrading hardware.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
With prices of some iPhone models above $1K I think an iOS update that is past generations friendly may keep some of us from upgrading hardware.

In the keynote Lisa Jackson was talking about making products more durable. Hopefully that means we are moving to a longer upgrade cycle.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL

In the keynote Lisa Jackson was talking about making products more durable. Hopefully that means we are moving to a longer upgrade cycle.
Apple wants to keep customers in the ecosystem, so yes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.