Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cristabul56

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 14, 2018
Madison, WI
Hi! I'm looking into the new provisional authorization changes on iOS 12 to send notifications quietly without explicit user permission. Let's say I have a user of my app (who is on iOS 11) that is currently opted out of notifications. Then, let's say I build in support for this new provisional auth. When the user upgrades to iOS 12, and updates my app, can I automatically start sending them quiet notifications? And, I guess that implies their default notification settings are automatically changed when they update the app? Please let me know if I'm thinking about that correctly... or not! Thanks!

AxoNeuron

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2012
The Left Coast
If a user updates to iOS 12 + your update, iOS will still remember they disabled notifications for your app. You will not be able to send them provisional notifications.

I would suggest using OneSignal's SDK if you want an easy way to use provisional notifications. Our beta SDK hasn't yet been made into an official release but it contains support for provisional notifications. Expect the iOS 12 support to be officially released this week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.