Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sharkus

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Hello all,
Please accept my apologies if this has been posted before.

It seems that using the Next / Previous buttons - which should take you to the next / previous song - in my car - be they accessed from the steering wheel controls, or from the stereo itself (hard buttons or on-screen buttons) - are not functioning if I play back music that is in a playlist.

When I am using a playlist then the current track number out of total track number counter; eg 1/82 does very briefly display 2/82, but the current track never pauses playback, and does not advance to the next track.

I've tried having the play method to repeat all, or shuffle, and the behaviour is the same.

If I select the stereo's "Songs" option, which allows playback of all the songs on my phone, then the buttons do work. Which leads me to believe it's something playlist related. The same is true if I play back from a specific album, the buttons work without issue.

My car is a 2014 Kia Forte 5 SX Luxury / Premium, with Navigation.

I have the phone connected using a lightning cable.

When I first got my iPhone 11 Pro Max I did not see the issue, and I theorized it was something to do with iOS 13.0 vs iOS 13.1.x

I have since run a few tests. I had an iPhone XR which I installed iOS 13.0 onto and did *not* see the issue. I then upgraded it to iOS 13.1 and I *did* see the issue. I also tried 13.1.1, and 13.1.2, and the issue still persists. I've also tried the 13.2 beta and again the issue is still happening.

I do not believe this to be an issue with my car, as iOS 13.0 worked. I also believe, from a few things I've read, that it is not just myself experiencing this issue, and in addition, it might not just be connections via a lightning cable, but also bluetooth connections.

Am I correct in believing that others have this issue?

Reactions: Ramrod82

Sharkus

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 1, 2005
Hopefully final update to this thread.

Apple has released iOS 13.2 and the issue does appear to be fixed :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.