Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
I have the original iPhone SE. I got a notification that this update is available. I initiated the update and it ends with a notice that the update failed, without any specific reason given. This has now happened multiple times.

I am only using half of the available 32 GB of memory on the phone, so that's not the problem. The phone is a standard configuration by which I mean I haven't done anything out of the ordinary to it.

I read somewhere that not all updates are appropriate for all phones but would the system still tell me the update for my phone was available in that case? Would it go through the download and then realize it's not appropriate?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I have the original iPhone SE. I got a notification that this update is available. I initiated the update and it ends with a notice that the update failed, without any specific reason given. This has now happened multiple times.

I am only using half of the available 32 GB of memory on the phone, so that's not the problem. The phone is a standard configuration by which I mean I haven't done anything out of the ordinary to it.

I read somewhere that not all updates are appropriate for all phones but would the system still tell me the update for my phone was available in that case?

If the update is already downloaded, try deleting it first (in storage settings) so that it would get re-downloaded when you try to update again. Another option would be to update through a computer (if you have access to one).

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
The saga continues...I tried connecting to my 2019 MacBook Pro (with OS 10.15) using the link in @Ulenspiegel's post where it says:
  • On a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15, open Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes.
  • Connect your device to your computer.
  • Locate your device on your computer.
I'm not sure what "open Finder" means other than just opening a window e.g. by double clicking on the HD icon but I'm stuck at the last step shown. The iPhone doesn't show up in the left side of a Finder window. Now the problem may be that I am using a USB-A to Lightning cable connected to a USB-A to USB-C dock. Do I need a USB-C to Lightning cable to connect directly to the MBPro for this to work?

I tried the alternate method on an older MBPro where I have iTunes 12. The instructions are "View your device by clicking on the device's icon in the upper-left corner of the iTunes window." I connected the iPhone to the MBPro using the same USB-A to Lightning cable and the icon doesn't show up.

Last edited:

lanzbulldog

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2020
mac_in_tosh, I am sorry to hear that the idea did not work.

Would you be so kind to try a third party software that is capable of updating, namely iMazing.
Please, use the original cable provided with the iPhone.

Let us see how a third party software handles the problem.
Sorry but when I will restore/reinstall IOS I first have to buy a lincense??! Nothing to try as you point out!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.