Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
There has been debate in previous versions of iOS as to how Calendar is used alongside Reminders. With the changes that have been made to Reminders in iOS 13, I'm curious if the primary uses for either of these stock apps have changed for any of you since updating.

I deleted my Reminders app a while ago because I can add to-do items in Calendar. Granted, I don't have proximity alert or checklist functionality, but I liked having everything in one location. The new interface for Reminders and added Siri functionality looks useful though.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
Totally different apps and use cases, calendar is for appointments and events, reminders is a task manager.

This. Some people have a hard time seeing the difference or just don’t care so they add everything to their calendar.

Reactions: iDento

iDento

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
iCloud Servers
I use Fantastical to ensure they are together. Makes much more sense to me to have them in one place.
You use Fantastical to add appointments to calendars and tasks to lists, they’re different, it’s just that Fantastical is so sophisticated that it can do both ;)

Reactions: phillytim

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Thanks for the insight. That makes sense. Currently, I'm using Calendar for important appointments and events, Reminders for tasks that I want to be reminded about, and Notes (checklists) for tasks that I don't need to be reminded about, which I refer to manually.

bripab007

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2009
With ipadOS/iOS 13, you can intrinsically dock the calendar and reminders apps side-by-side and just have them both launch when you open them.

Jarrodbcall

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2013
THIS exactly - haven't looked back once I purchased Fantastical 2, and brought my calendar & reminders together! <3
Totally! I doubt I will use the new reminders app because I love having a unified look at my appointments and tasks for the day. It's been life saving for school

Reactions: phillytim

purdnost

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
Totally! I doubt I will use the new reminders app because I love having a unified look at my appointments and tasks for the day. It's been life saving for school
I find that I'm back and forth on this. It make sense to keep them together, for an overall view of events and tasks. My most recent reason for separating the two (moving all my tasks back to Reminders) is that my calendar was getting too cluttered. Also, I don't believe Calendar alerts have a snooze option like reminders do.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
I really love how BusyCal integrates events/tasks into a single view, definitely recommend for anyone looking for an integrated solution.

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
If you didn’t upgrade to the new Reminders format then BusyCal still works. Otherwise, the developer would need to update the app, but it sounds like that wasn’t really on their upcoming roadmap when I contacted them a while back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.