Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B1llyG

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2020
The new OS for iPad and watch have been a disaster (for me). The amount of bugs and broken features keeps blowing my mind.
The latest issue (on OS 15.0.1) makes spotlight search completely unusable. When trying to type a search, the first letters are immediately deleted ??? This happens on a fresh install (no restore from backup) and rebooted iPad, with physical keyboard and the virtual (on screen) keyboard.

Check out the short clip.

Anybody else have this?

Reactions: Craiguyver

macOS Lynx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2019
Hasn't been happening to me on my iPad at all. Are you using a Bluetooth keyboard? If you are it could be related to a poor Bluetooth connection. Otherwise, no idea. Which iPad model?

B1llyG

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2020
Hasn't been happening to me on my iPad at all. Are you using a Bluetooth keyboard? If you are it could be related to a poor Bluetooth connection. Otherwise, no idea. Which iPad model?
I’m on a iPad Pro 2020. The issue occurs both with the Apple Smart Keyboard Folio and the onscreen / virtual keyboard, so I think it’s not the Bluetooth connection.

B1llyG

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2020
The headline is a bit over the top. iOS and iPadOS are very good. Had that issue as well and it will be fixed with an update.
Yes, it’s a bit over the top but it reflects my disappointment with the, what to me are, progressively worse iterations of Apple’s OS for tablet and watch. The OS are adequate for a mobile device but I wouldn’t call them very good. Again something that is of course very subjective. I’m happy you don’t experience issues with your version and are able to use it to your satisfaction.

Reactions: Craiguyver

tomsch

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2021
Germany
Yes, it’s a bit over the top but it reflects my disappointment with the, what to me are, progressively worse iterations of Apple’s OS for tablet and watch. The OS are adequate for a mobile device but I wouldn’t call them very good. Again something that is of course very subjective. I’m happy you don’t experience issues with your version and are able to use it to your satisfaction.
I had this issue on my iPhone as well and I agree to a certain point that we need something different for iPad. iPadOS should be different to iOS and put a lot more focus on the usage of iPads. The development for mobile OS‘s in general stalled.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Yep. I’ve got a bug and am likely in a very small percentage affected and can probably resolve it with a reboot or at worst, a restore.

Apple is dooooomed. DOOMED I SAY!!!!

1633790748503.jpeg

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
That is right, drink the Kool-Aid. iOS 15 is just okay, while iPadOS 15 is a flaming turd of bugs and garbage.
iOS 15.1 on my 13 Pro is the best software/hardware duo I’ve ever had. Everything about this phone feels premium. I’d pay for it a second time no questions asked and yes, before you say it I am the reason Apple sells as many phones as they do and why they keep raising prices (they don’t).

Last edited:

lwilliams

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2012
Athens, GA
I hate that with every new iOS, they announe new features and then don't deliver them until many, many updates later.

I wish Apple would not even mention those things until it was ready to use.

Anxiously awaiting Digital Key to be able to operate my car without carrying keys.

And, adding my driver's license to my Apple Wallet.

They made a big deal of these features.........and we wait.

tomsch

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2021
Germany
Really? Oh this is so boring
That is right, drink the Kool-Aid. iOS 15 is just okay, while iPadOS 15 is a flaming turd of bugs and garbage.
Well I guess I have a different version. I am working on my iPad every day and for sure there are bugs or things that could be easier to do, but overall it is stable and working.

Reactions: gwhizkids

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US

Anxiously awaiting Digital Key to be able to operate my car without carrying keys.

Why not grab another phone that has those features while you wait? People b**** and moan about bugs then in the same breath complain when Apple doesn’t release features that aren’t ready for prime time. You can’t live on the fence, my friend. Which do you prefer?

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
I hate that with every new iOS, they announe new features and then don't deliver them until many, many updates later.

First, we’ve been dealing with a pandemic and many Apple employees have been working from home (as noted throughout this thread). That is not optimal for collaboration.

Second, Apple sells things. They want buyers to be interested in the features they have now and upcoming features. So they need to tell people what those upcoming features are, even if they won’t be ready when you want them.

Third, Apple has been vilified over the years for stuffing a lot of features into the X.0 version of its iOS software when those features may not have been quite ready for prime time. So, they announced over a year ago that they would take more time where they needed to take more time, to make sure they got it right. Personally, I’m glad they’re taking that approach.

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2012
See you're an extra class from TX? I started in 1980 on an Apple II, first purchase Little Mac '84, dozens since, iMac, iPhone 12, iPads, iPods including 2 Classics, started out as WB3JlT in '73, now N3APT. Apple on steep downhill slope S/W wise since Cook took over. Still the best gear going-just have to be patient and avoid early OS and IOS updates. New M1 MacBook Air pretty good buy. Needs hub to be useful. 73s.

gwhizkids

macrumors G5
Jun 21, 2013
See you're an extra class from TX? I started in 1980 on an Apple II, first purchase Little Mac '84, dozens since, iMac, iPhone 12, iPads, iPods including 2 Classics, started out as WB3JlT in '73, now N3APT. Apple on steep downhill slope S/W wise since Cook took over. Still the best gear going-just have to be patient and avoid early OS and IOS updates. New M1 MacBook Air pretty good buy. Needs hub to be useful. 73s.

The world has been on a steep “software slide” since the late 2000s (decade). The reason: the low hanging fruit is gone. Hardware has more or less stalled out (sure it gets faster and battery life gets better, but no truly new input/output methods).

It’s not just Apple.

BigPotatoLobbyist

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2020
First, we’ve been dealing with a pandemic and many Apple employees have been working from home (as noted throughout this thread). That is not optimal for collaboration.

Second, Apple sells things. They want buyers to be interested in the features they have now and upcoming features. So they need to tell people what those upcoming features are, even if they won’t be ready when you want them.

Third, Apple has been vilified over the years for stuffing a lot of features into the X.0 version of its iOS software when those features may not have been quite ready for prime time. So, they announced over a year ago that they would take more time where they needed to take more time, to make sure they got it right. Personally, I’m glad they’re taking that approach.
RE: at home, obviously this is a sizable contributor rather than entirely secular decline. Prior comments suggesting this unlikely to influence the development of products are just coping about it tbh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.