Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJny9956

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
I usually do a photo dump from my phone into photos desktop library every now and then. I do a full dump so phone photos get erased and everything remain on the desktop app library.

After iOS 15 upgrade I noticed that all the photos that I've taken were properly uploaded to my machine and erased from my phone. However, I keep seeing a thousand photos in my phone photos app. These photos usually have the "messages" icon on the thumbnail. So I'm assuming these are stuff related to messages? Now why are they in my library and if they were in my library why didn't they upload to my computer and erase form the phone? + These are taking up space in my phone? after a full upload to my computer library I see photos taking up about 12 gigs on my phone what is going on? Clearly Things have been moved and erased.

All this sound so convoluted.

Help. and thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_89E5B55998F8-1.jpeg
    IMG_89E5B55998F8-1.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

PPSH-41

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2009
USA
Is it this?

Go to Settings, Messages, Shared with you and you can turn it off by sliding the Photos option here to off. That will keep your Message photos only in Messages I believe.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
C3E81048-C813-4CAC-A57A-3A341260DF78.jpeg

It shows photos shared via messages app alongside your library. Drove me nuts too. Here’s the setting to turn it off.

StevenB14

macrumors regular
May 23, 2012
Scotland
Seems like that only turns it off until you go back into the photos app. Anyone know how to permanently select your photos only?

edit:

seems to stay on permanently in the Library but under Albums -> Recents it resets every time.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Seems like that only turns it off until you go back into the photos app. Anyone know how to permanently select your photos only?

edit:

seems to stay on permanently in the Library but under Albums -> Recents it resets every time.
Follow the advice above:

This well get rid of them permanently.

I also didn't care for this feature; if I want something sent to me in Messages in my library, I'll save it there. No need to have random memes and crap from the last 10 years of messaging cluttering up my photos app.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
Follow the advice above:

This well get rid of them permanently.

I also didn't care for this feature; if I want something sent to me in Messages in my library, I'll save it there. No need to have random memes and crap from the last 10 years of messaging cluttering up my photos app.
Thought I was going crazy when it kept turning back on on iPad. Good find!

iJny9956

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2012
OMG. Many many thanks! I miss the simple days of Aperture, things have become so complicated since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.