Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeMcCollister

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2021
Charlottesville, Virginia
I have my iPhone set up sot that my Fitness focus mode is enabled when I start a workout. This was worked well for about a year now. However, starting with what I believe was iOS 16.2 and watchOS 9.2, that option will sometimes turn itself off. I have to go back into the Fitness Focus mode and change the “set a schedule” for workout to be on.

I’ve rebooted both my iPhone and Apple Watch but that does not fix it. Every few days this option will turn off.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks,

Mike

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Yep. This was reported in another thread a while back. It did start with 16.2. It turns itself off on my phone/watch every couple days too. From a report I’ve seen this hasn’t yet been corrected in 16.3.

Reactions: MikeMcCollister

nabla

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2009
Don't know if this is related, but I made similar observations in iOS 16.2 with the Sleep Focus, which reproducibly turns itself off on both my iPhone (14 Pro) as well as my Apple Watch (Series 6) whenever I put the Watch onto its nightstand charger.

MikeMcCollister

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 14, 2021
Charlottesville, Virginia
Don't know if this is related, but I made similar observations in iOS 16.2 with the Sleep Focus, which reproducibly turns itself off on both my iPhone (14 Pro) as well as my Apple Watch (Series 6) whenever I put the Watch onto its nightstand charger.
Curious. I do use sleep focus but I don't wear my watch at night. I do this just to make sure I don't get any sounds on my iPhone at night. I'm trying to figure out if I get up before my scheduled sleep focus is supposed to end if that has something to do with it.

nabla

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2009
On the 14 Pro it's kinda obvious because the sleep focus is what makes the always-on display turn off for the night – and if that focus gets lost when starting to charge the watch, the iPhone display comes back on 🙈 Not exactly when the watch is put onto the charger, but some 30-60 seconds later. Really strange, so I suspect there must be something wrong with (de)activation of focus modes in general.

Reactions: MikeMcCollister

szilske

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2015
Germany
On the 14 Pro it's kinda obvious because the sleep focus is what makes the always-on display turn off for the night – and if that focus gets lost when starting to charge the watch, the iPhone display comes back on 🙈 Not exactly when the watch is put onto the charger, but some 30-60 seconds later. Really strange, so I suspect there must be something wrong with (de)activation of focus modes in general.
Focus is certainly broken in one way or another. Sleep Focus gets turned off overnight randomly for me as well and what bothers me more: When I turn a focus on my Mac, it almost every time affects my other devices as well, eve though I told my Mac not to sync Focus to other devices!!!

DemiArianna

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2023
This is happening to me too. I have my phone set up with my Apple Watch so that every time I start a workout my phone goes into the Fitness DND mode. I also have a different Lock Screen linked to Fitness Mode. I noticed this error bc every few days I’d start a new workout and the screen wouldn’t change like it normally would. With iOS 16.2, it’s very easy to accidentally long hold on your Lock Screen and go into the screen selection mode. Every time I do that by accident, even if I notice right away and select my normal non-DND-linked screen, this automatic workout mode setting turns itself off. I think both the too-easily-activated screen selection mode and the automatic turn off of the fitness focus setting both need to be fixed in an update soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.