Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zillabond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2024

Hey there, yesterday I delete from iPhone 15 Pro Max one contact.​

after that I've noticed that our chat history completely deleted too in the WhatsApp.
I checked the WhatsApp Archive but it's not there.
I added that contact again but that not restored it or something, only a fresh new chat completely.
I've tried it with another contact and the same has happened - deleting contact from my iPhone erased out chat too.
my friend did the same and it happened to him too (with iPhone XS, iOS 17.3.1).
In the past when I did it the chat history stayed with his phone number display instead of his name.
I did with an old iPhone X running iOS 16.3 and it's not happening.
what is going on with that iOS 17???

Help please,
thank you.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Sounds like a question for WhatsApp. Perhaps iOS 17 enabled a new feature that allows WhatsApp to be aware of a contact being deleted, and they’re then deleting the conversation history.

Reactions: Reverend Benny

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe

Hey there, yesterday I delete from iPhone 15 Pro Max one contact.​

after that I've noticed that our chat history completely deleted too in the WhatsApp.
I checked the WhatsApp Archive but it's not there.
I added that contact again but that not restored it or something, only a fresh new chat completely.
I've tried it with another contact and the same has happened - deleting contact from my iPhone erased out chat too.
my friend did the same and it happened to him too (with iPhone XS, iOS 17.3.1).
In the past when I did it the chat history stayed with his phone number display instead of his name.
I did with an old iPhone X running iOS 16.3 and it's not happening.
what is going on with that iOS 17???

Help please,
thank you.
Whatsapp have released a number of new features such as deletion of messages and so on. Now sure if that feature requires something from the OS or if it could be related to that.
Sounds more like a whatsapp issues tbh or maybe a combo.
If you reach out to Meta and their Whatsapp support i'm sure they can tell you more of its OS or an app related bug.

Ninflu

macrumors regular
Well, the first answer sounds like, that they are aware of the problem. I've now asked them if thats a known issue, because i already lost 10 years of chat + media, when i accidentally deleted a contact on iOS.

Hi,
Thanks for your message.
Your experience matters to us and we’re working on fixing this in a future update.
Please make sure you’re using the latest version of WhatsApp. You can download the latest version here.
If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. We'll be happy to help!
--
WhatsApp Support WhatsApp Support Team
Take a look at our Help Center!

Ninflu

macrumors regular
So here is the second answer. Maybe Macrumors is picking this issue up and let people know about this- or may get more information about that. I'm wondering if this happens in other messengers like Telegram or Signal too?

Hi,

Thanks for your message.

We know this is frustrating and can assure you we’re working hard to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. Thanks for your patience.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us. We'll be happy to help!

--
WhatsApp Support WhatsApp Support Team

Take a look at our Help Center!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.