Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I usually do the Beta every year, but this was the first time I went into a .1 Beta (18.1)

If I turn off the Beta option, when the Public Release of iOS18 comes out on Monday, will my phone allow me to install that version?

With me getting a 16PM next week, I know I cant restore the new phone from the last backup if I am on 18.1 and the new phones are still on 18.

Adora

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2024
When you try to restore it, it will offer you to update the new phone to 18.1 beta before.

Reactions: C7 POWER

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
When you try to restore it, it will offer you to update the new phone to 18.1 beta before.

Do they definitely still do that though? I’ve heard (hopefully just) rumours that might not happen! Hopefully you’re right.

It’s gonna leave a lot of people SOL if they remove that option…

Reactions: C7 POWER

C7 POWER

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
I guess when I get the new phone, I can then install 18.1 Beta then restore from my last back up in the cloud, then it would be compatible to bring my back up to the new phone, then shut the beta off. I just want to ensure I can bring my saved data from my old phone to the new one :) I usually always stayed away from any .1 betas but this year I was excited to try the new AI features lol.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
1726154583971.png

Looks like I will be able to :)

Adora

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2024
Do they definitely still do that though? I’ve heard (hopefully just) rumours that might not happen! Hopefully you’re right.

It’s gonna leave a lot of people SOL if they remove that option…

It worked for me with a new purchased iOS 17 iPhone and the old one already had iOS 18 beta installed.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
OMG, I stressed about this all day and the “geniuses” in the store were clueless on this. They were telling me I would have to set up the new phone as a new device, enroll in the beta program, upgrade to 18.1 and wipe it clean and then restore from old to new.

I assume it will be seamless for beta 4 as well?

Adora

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2024
OMG, I stressed about this all day and the “geniuses” in the store were clueless on this. They were telling me I would have to set up the new phone as a new device, enroll in the beta program, upgrade to 18.1 and wipe it clean and then restore from old to new.

I assume it will be seamless for beta 4 as well?

So the new phone couldn't get updated to the beta before transferring the data? What way did you use? Device to device lying next to another?

Why not updating the new phone to 18.1 first if this doesn't work? You can do it via IPSW from a Mac, when you don't want to login to your account yet to see the update. But there is a public beta now to. Maybe that update works without being logged in.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
So the new phone couldn't get updated to the beta before transferring the data? What way did you use? Device to device lying next to another?

Why not updating the new phone to 18.1 first if this doesn't work? You can do it via IPSW from a Mac, when you don't want to login to your account yet to see the update. But there is a public beta now to. Maybe that update works without being logged in.
I think you are missing the point of the question or how the process works.

Let me lay it out. The 16 Pro’s arriving tomorrow with have 18.0 on it out of the box. My phone I’m trading in is running 18.1 and my only backup was created under 18.1 (b4). In a non beta environment, if the back up is created in a newer version of iOS than what’s on the new phone, it will prompt that it has to update when you begin the transfer from old to new. It will then update and then you can transfer. This takes time in the store and it is what it is.

However, the “newer” OS on the old phone is beta. Normally (I think), the new phone can’t offer to update to a beta. If this were true, the only way to get it done would be to set up the new phone as a new device, enroll in beta and update it. Then wipe it clean and select new phone replacing old. This would take a crap load of time in the store and is a PIA.

I asked the “geniuses” if they could just plug the new phone into a Mac and load 18.1. “We don’t even have the betas” was their response.

What they didn’t know is what’s in this thread and that Apple is supposedly enabling 18.1 as an upgrade if necessary to move from old phone to new.

Make sense? BTW, I’ve done nothing, this is all homework for tomorrow morning.

Reactions: alexcue

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
So it's not letting me pick the 18.1 icloud backup, its greyed out, it only lets me pick the last ios 18 back up from June...

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
That is strange. For me, I went through the setup process for transfer from old phone make this your new one etc. a few clicks into the process, it asked me or told me to enroll in the beta program and then installed 18.1 B4. When that installed it went straight to restoring from iCloud.

Adora

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2024
So it's not letting me pick the 18.1 icloud backup, its greyed out, it only lets me pick the last ios 18 back up from June...

I would just update to 18.1 on the new phone and then restore the backup. Or don't you want betas anymore? It's already the fourth with a long gap between 3 and 4. Couldn't be long until it's finished.

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
I would just update to 18.1 on the new phone and then restore the backup. Or don't you want betas anymore? It's already the fourth with a long gap between 3 and 4. Couldn't be long until it's finished.

To do that you need to set it up as a new phone, enter your ID etc and then enroll in beta. Do-able, but a PIA.

Set up was seamless for me, it prompted to go on beta 18.1 as soon as it loaded my backup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.