Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
Was this feature cancelled or coming with 18.1? Can someone on the iOS 18.1 beta confirm?

Settings > Siri > Siri Responses - When Connected to Car Bluetooth

Apple-iOS-18-Siri-Responses-Car-Bluetooth-Radio-Selected.jpg

iOS 18 lets you decide how Siri responds via car Bluetooth​

The toggles let you device whether the assistant responds over your car’s HFP stereo radio, A2DP car stereos or device speakers.

• Respond over Radio: Siri will respond over HFP car stereos, which is ideal while listening to car radio or other audio sources.
  • Respond over Media: Siri will respond over A2DP car stereos, which is ideal when listening to media from your phone.
  • Respond over Phone Speakers: Siri will respond over your phone speakers and not interrupt car radio.

Last edited:

Maxell

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2022
Installed iOS 18 yesterday and Siri won’t let me reply to or send a message. Connected via Bluetooth to car play. This was finally working in iOS 17 but it seems the bug is back. Anyone else?

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
I’ve seen this setting but can’t remember where it is. I have 18.1 b3 and I know I set this. But I do t see the setting anywhere now.

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
I’ve seen this setting but can’t remember where it is. I have 18.1 b3 and I know I set this. But I do t see the setting anywhere now.

Jumpie

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
Atlanta
That’s why I couldn’t find it. It’s no longer there. It was before because I remember setting it. I hope it comes back because sometimes my unit doesn’t read it right.

Attachments

• IMG_2450.jpeg
    IMG_2450.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 17

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
That’s why I couldn’t find it. It’s no longer there. It was before because I remember setting it. I hope it comes back because sometimes my unit doesn’t read it right.
Looks like beta 4 just dropped if you don’t mind installing and reporting back.

taylrjones

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2024
Looks like you need to have developer settings enabled to see it
From the iOS 18 Release notes:
"In iOS 18, when an iPhone is connected via Bluetooth to a vehicle without CarPlay, Siri’s audio quality can be significantly improved through the new option “Respond over Media Source”. First, users need to enable the setting by going to (with Developer settings enabled) Settings, “Developers” → “Siri in Bluetooth Car testing” → Toggle “Show Audio Output in Settings”. Users then will be able to use this feature by going to Settings “Siri & Search” → “Siri Responses” → “When Connected to Car Bluetooth”. (128692679)"

Reactions: macrlz9

macrlz9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Illinois
Looks like you need to have developer settings enabled to see it
From the iOS 18 Release notes:
"In iOS 18, when an iPhone is connected via Bluetooth to a vehicle without CarPlay, Siri’s audio quality can be significantly improved through the new option “Respond over Media Source”. First, users need to enable the setting by going to (with Developer settings enabled) Settings, “Developers” → “Siri in Bluetooth Car testing” → Toggle “Show Audio Output in Settings”. Users then will be able to use this feature by going to Settings “Siri & Search” → “Siri Responses” → “When Connected to Car Bluetooth”. (128692679)"
Interesting! Looks like it is still coming but in a later release. I’m not going to dabble with developer stuff myself but good find!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.