Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adenslayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2015
I found a "hacky" way to get cellular data working for apps on T-Mobile with iOS 9.3b2, so I thought I'd share.

The first thing you'll want to do is download

Unlimited Free VPN by betternet - Best Proxy VPN for Wifi Hotspot Security | Access Sites and Protect Privacy by Betternet Technologies Inc.
https://appsto.re/us/q-nB4.i

I've tested out a few VPNs for this, but for some reason this is the only one that would work. Next, you'll need to disable LTE and use their 4G network. After that, you'll need to open the app and install their profile.

After the profile is installed, you can try starting the VPN in app, but it always fails for me. If it fails, open Settings / VPN. Near the bottom under Personal VPN, make sure Betternet VPN is checked, then tap the toggle under Personal VPN. You'll want to make sure this is on every time you want to use an app that is broken with cellular data for T-Mobile. Let me know if this works for others... Not quite sure why it works for me.

Reactions: vertsix

adenslayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2015
If anyone is technical enough to understand why this works, could you please explain it to me?

TheChemist

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2006
9.3b2 nullified my ability to roam in Canada. Had to downgrade to b1 (the carrier file for beta 1 works but not for beta 2). I suppose I can give this a try over the weekend. Thanks for sharing!

adenslayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2015
9.3b2 nullified my ability to roam in Canada. Had to downgrade to b1 (the carrier file for beta 1 works but not for beta 2). I suppose I can give this a try over the weekend. Thanks for sharing!

That would be interesting to know if this work around fixes roaming or not. Please keep me posted :)

paulg1981

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2014
So you have to be connected to the VPN while on cellular for this to work, correct?

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
Tried it, and it works for the most part.

Some apps are still pretty broken on cellular even with a VPN, though. Good temporary solution.

adenslayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2015
So you have to be connected to the VPN while on cellular for this to work, correct?

Yeah, from my experience, LTE needs to be disabled, staying on their 4G network, and you must be connected to the VPN

mconk

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
Interesting find! Just tried this out, and it does appear to fix snapchat text, the paper app for FB, MS exchange mail and a few other areas where the cellular connection just isn't working on this beta/carrier update combo. Thanks for the tip! Btw, you do have to remain on 4G, but that seems to be fine. I tried this while using personal hotspot on my iPhone to stream a tv show on my Apple TV...4G was handling everything just fine, and the service inside my apartment isn't even that great. So this is def a nice workaround!

adenslayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2015
This issue has been fixed with Carrier Update 23.5.5 / iOS 9.3b3. Mods - feel free to close this thread

adenslayer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2015
Silly question - but how can I force the carrier update?? And 9.3b3??

If you're on the dev beta, just Settings / General / Software Update.

If you're on the public beta, it /should/ be released tomorrow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.