Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hinesmj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
New York
Has anyone seen reduced performance on their original iPad air once they upgrade to iOS 9? I have the 64GB WiFi only model. It's not unsuable at all...but definitely has slight lag now. Curious if anyone else is seeing the same thing?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
My department at work has an iPad Air which I upgraded to iOS 9. I noticed some lag when pulling up the app switcher or dragging down to search. In fact, even my Mini 4 had occasional lag with those same tasks, but to a much lesser extent. Updating to 9.2 helped both devices.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I only should have updated my iPad once with a major iOS release. Now its in a drawer because its so laggy that its too frustrating to use.

From now on when I buy a new iOS device, I'm applying one major release (and all point releases) and holding off as long as I can after that.

Reactions: Vanilla35

hinesmj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 19, 2015
New York
I only should have updated my iPad once with a major iOS release. Now its in a drawer because its so laggy that its too frustrating to use.

From now on when I buy a new iOS device, I'm applying one major release (and all point releases) and holding off as long as I can after that.

What type of iPad do you have? What iOS upgrade "drawered" it for you?

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010

I wouldn't say that that should be a hard and fast rule. A lot of people with devices that launched with iOS 7 are having no problems with 9. I prefer having the most up to date OS on my devices, though at the moment, none of my personal devices are from the iOS 7 or older generations.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
Seems fine on my daughter's iPad Air. She mostly plays games and watches videos, and it never stutters that I can see.

Stuttering and general slowness are two different aspects. It's not likely for the iPad Air to stutter on iOS 9, but if you compare it to one on iOS 7 (or to a lesser extent iOS 8), you'll see that there is a general slowness to the device on the more up to date OS. Doesn't make it unusable, but to certain people it is annoying, especially if they had the perspective that it used to be "faster" (which it probably was). Considering how little things have changed (unless you really use features like spotlight suggestions), it can be quite aggregating to notice your device slow down from major iOS updates, considering it basically has the same interface.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
16Gb iPad Air 1, iOS 9.2, no problems at all.

I believe those that say they're having just the opposite experience with the very same device and iOS version, but just how is this possible? Is it what apps each use or amount of HD is available or ? Just seems strange to read threads of so many having terrible problems while others are having absolutely none.

bufffilm

Suspended
May 3, 2011
Some of the problems may be attributable to upgrading older devices and then restoring from backup.

For those who have this, try restoring iOS again and then choose to set up as new. May not fix all the problems but worth a shot.

Reactions: Codeseven

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
16Gb iPad Air 1, iOS 9.2, no problems at all.

I believe those that say they're having just the opposite experience with the very same device and iOS version, but just how is this possible? Is it what apps each use or amount of HD is available or ? Just seems strange to read threads of so many having terrible problems while others are having absolutely none.

No two devices are the same once they start being used. Every person will have different apps with different demands on RAM and processing power. As well as different settings and background tasks etc.

Codeseven

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2008
No two devices are the same once they start being used. Every person will have different apps with different demands on RAM and processing power. As well as different settings and background tasks etc.

Agreed, good point.

What's funny is to see so many 'don't upgrade to iOS xx.x, it ruined my (whatever device)' and in the same thread see 'I upgraded to iOS xx.x and my (whatever device) runs awesome!'.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Agreed, good point.

What's funny is to see so many 'don't upgrade to iOS xx.x, it ruined my (whatever device)' and in the same thread see 'I upgraded to iOS xx.x and my (whatever device) runs awesome!'.

Personally, I like to keep my devices up to date. If it turns out that they can't handle the latest OS then maybe it's time for something new anyway.

Grolubao

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2008
London, UK
It's really bogged down. It's a RAM problem. Normally I have around 3mb to 5mb free, so there's no miracle. The iPad air is a device that was predestined as being slow in the long run due to the ram

Reactions: Vanilla35
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.