Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
This just dawned on me:
To be able to install our iCloud backup of iOS 17 from our current iPhone to our new one arriving on Friday 22nd, which build of iOS should we run?

Do you think the new phones will be running the exact build we will get on Monday or will we have to update the new phone prior to it accepting our iCloud backup.

Always a slightly messy time of the year, starting from scratch.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
We really won't know until Monday when iOS 17 drops and when the new phones launch on the 22nd. There could be a build change from the RC to the Final on Monday, in which case, the 15s will need an update to match the final release of 17.0 (or 17.0.1.).

Reactions: ibookemo

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
Not to worry. Just keep keep the current device on the latest firmware and backup frequently. Apple will release a build next week that should be align with the new iPhone that may either be on the same build or slightly higher. What I do is just check the build on the new iPhone (update/restore to the latest build before set up), check the current iPhone build (update it if needed to the latest build and do a manually iCloud/iTunes/Finder backup) then proceed to setting up the new iPhone.

Reactions: Mlrollin91

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 17, 2009
In that case, is it best to remain on the current RC rather than the final release? That would be a good way to guarantee that my current iCloud backup would seamlessly install on my new phone on Friday without needing an OS update.

Does that sound logical...then install any OS update later on.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
The current RC may be the same build that will be releasing to the general public. However, there is a chance that the release could be a higher build then you will need to update. Keeping it to the latest is the best you can do and do a backup before setting up the new iPhone. You'll find out next week whether the release build will be the same as RC.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
The current RC may be the same build that will be releasing to the general public. However, there is a chance that the release could be a higher build then you will need to update. Keeping it to the latest is the best you can do and do a backup before setting up the new iPhone. You'll find out next week whether the release build will be the same as RC.
Exactly this. And besides, now, iOS set up allows you to update during the restore process.

Reactions: ibookemo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.