Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 28, 2011
Was wondering if someone could help me understand continuity. I've got an iPhone where I primarily use Safari as my browser. I do have Chrome installed, but it's not my default on that device.

On my MacBook Pro I primarily use Google Chrome as my browser.

I've noticed that when I'm browsing sites on Safari, the MacOS Continuity icon displays in my dock with Google Chrome as the icon, and if I click that icon, Google Chrome launches with the site I'd been browsing handed-off.

From a data-standpoint, how is this working? Does the website get passed on an OS-level, showing the continuity indicator for whatever default browser is set for the receiving device? Would the same handoff work if Chrome was not installed on my iPhone? Is Chrome on iOS able to intercept every site I visit on Safari by means of continuity?

I'm just trying to understand at what point the information is conveyed between apps and devices with this feature.

Thanks

ManuCH

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Continuity is simply broadcasting what website you are browsing, on OS-level. Your other devices with Continuity enabled on the same iCloud ID will show the Continuity indicator with your default browser icon. Information is only passed on an OS-level.

On my Mac, for example, my default browser is "OpenIn", so I always get a pop-up menu to choose with what browser I want to open a link. So I get the OpenIn icon in the dock when Continuity does its thing.

Reactions: uptownnyc
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.