Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmoore55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
Hi
I have an iPhone 6. I am trying to update it to iOS 10.3.2. I cannot upgrade via wifi. I followed the instructions on Apples website, and tried to sync via iTunes on my PC.

I have iTunes updated on my PC, but it tells me that the device (iPhone) doesn't have the latest version of iTunes, so it won't connect. I deleted iTunes off of my PC, and reinstalled only to get the same message.

My phone is currently on and I can go to the settings and all of that, but the screen cuts off when I try and use the phone or messages.

It is a 60gb, but only has 3 gb available. My pictures are still showing to take 38 gb of data, but are coming and going from my photo album, and won't stay on long enough for me to dump them on my PC. Any help is so appreciated!

nieks

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2016
The Netherlands
You are doing some things wrong.
First of all: "the latest version of iTunes on the device" is nonexistent. You can't install iTunes on an iPhone. iTunes is a desktop app.
Second: what do you mean by "the screen cuts off when I try and use the phone".

Take the following steps:
1. Install iTunes on your computer.
2. Make sure it is the latest version: https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
3a. Just in case, reset your phone by using the homebutton+sleep/wake button, press these at the same time untill you see an apple logo.
3b. After the phone restarted, please connect it to your computer using an USB cable and start iTunes.

These first steps, can you complete them?

wmoore55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 17, 2017
You are doing some things wrong.
First of all: "the latest version of iTunes on the device" is nonexistent. You can't install iTunes on an iPhone. iTunes is a desktop app.
Second: what do you mean by "the screen cuts off when I try and use the phone".

Take the following steps:
1. Install iTunes on your computer.
2. Make sure it is the latest version: https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
3a. Just in case, reset your phone by using the homebutton+sleep/wake button, press these at the same time untill you see an apple logo.
3b. After the phone restarted, please connect it to your computer using an USB cable and start iTunes.

These first steps, can you complete them?

I have the latest version of iTunes- I uninstalled it from my PC last night, and then reinstalled this morning. I am still getting the same message (see screen shot). I have reset my phone a couple of times, too. I can see my phone showing up on my computer, and if I catch it at a moment when the phone has began reloading the pictures, I am able to pull a few off from that location, but then the phone takes the picture count back to zero. In regards to the screen cutting off- if I am on my text messages (which have been cleared), it will allow me to type for about 15 seconds, then goes back to the home screen by itself.

Any other suggestions/advice? Thank you!

Attachments

• itunes screenshot.jpg
    itunes screenshot.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 174

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
That's not the latest version of iTunes. The latest version of iTunes for Windows is 12.6.1.25. If you click on "Help" > "About", it will tell you what version of iTunes you are using.

Are you running Windows Vista? If so, you can't download the latest version of iTunes, which requires Windows 7 or newer. And without the latest iTunes, you won't be able to sync your iPhone. You can either upgrade your current computer to a newer version of Windows, or find a different computer you can use with Windows 7 or newer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.