Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
the iOS Mail app is not performing the scheduled fetch for favourite mailboxes of accounts (like Gmail, Yahoo, IMAP third party) which do not support Push. Notifications for such new mails are also not generated. Scheduled fetch and notifications do not occur with any of the fetch frequencies (every 15 minutes, every 30 minutes, hourly, Automatic) on favourite mailboxes even after a lapse of many hours/ multiple consecutive fetch cycles.

The scheduled fetch and notifications occurs for Favourite mailboxes only if its mail account supports Push, or it is manually opened.

jseymour

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2018
S.E. Michigan, USA
IME the iOS email app is horrible. It's only redeeming quality is it's automatically coming-up with the correct mail folder into which to re-file email received in your inbox. That's about it.

I'd had alarm system email going to my Apple e-mail account. It didn't seem to pop-up notifications for those any faster than any other of the e-mail accounts I have configured. It was also horrible about clearing the unread email status when email was read off-device, such as from the email client on my desktop.

I'd have replaced the verkakte thing, by now, save I couldn't find an alternative iOS email app that was any better.

One of the many reasons I'm not entirely unhappy about returning to the Android fold someday. At least I'll be able to have a decent email app again.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Do you mean you also face this issue?
And yes, I have filed feedback.

Oh yeah.
Have the issue then it seems to get fixed until it comes back.
I have even go so far as to remove all accounts, remove the app, reinstall, and try again. That was in iOS14.x betas.

With Mail, you never know what you are going to get, or not get.

• Angry
Reactions: jseymour

jseymour

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2018
S.E. Michigan, USA
And yes, I have filed feedback.
Good luck with that. Personally, I wouldn't bother. It's obviously a well-known problem. If Apple had wanted to fix it, they'd have fixed it long ago.

The funny (and I don't mean "haha funny") thing about this is it's not as if the various bits and pieces of the email protocols are not well-known. There's no excuse for not having fixed this other than Apple simply doesn't care. (Yeah, I've been a little annoyed they haven't seen fit to get email right.)

Reactions: dk001

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Good luck with that. Personally, I wouldn't bother. It's obviously a well-known problem. If Apple had wanted to fix it, they'd have fixed it long ago.

The funny (and I don't mean "haha funny") thing about this is it's not as if the various bits and pieces of the email protocols are not well-known. There's no excuse for not having fixed this other than Apple simply doesn't care. (Yeah, I've been a little annoyed they haven't seen fit to get email right.)

I shake my head in wonder sometimes at how much better mail works on my Android for the same accounts.

Reactions: jseymour

jseymour

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2018
S.E. Michigan, USA
I shake my head in wonder sometimes at how much better mail works on my Android for the same accounts.
I used K-9 Mail when I was on Android. It wasn't perfect. No software is perfect. But it was about as good an email app as ever I used on any platform. iOS users don't know what they're missing.

One of the things to which I'm looking forward when I switch back to Android is having K-9 Mail again :)

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
Oh yeah.
Have the issue then it seems to get fixed until it comes back.
I have even go so far as to remove all accounts, remove the app, reinstall, and try again. That was in iOS14.x betas.

With Mail, you never know what you are going to get, or not get.
I suggest you too submit feedback on iOS 15 betas.
Who knows, fortune might favour the relentless!

:D

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Mail fetching has never been consistent in my experience, even before iOS 15. I'm lucky to not depend on E-mail in a real time fashion; as long as I can check my mail manually I'm happy. But for those who need E-mail to be realtime it can be a huge pain in the ass.

uandme72

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2015
I would have long switched over to Outlook, but for one reason.
Outlook gives out notifications by somehow connecting your third party email account with Microsoft servers. I don't want my emails to travel anywhere except my device and the mail account server (organisation policies).
While iOS Mail app does not engage any server to process the mail notifications. This suits me from data protection perspective.

And you are indeed correct in assessing that there is no consistency.
Sometimes all favourite folders do give out fetched notifications. While most of the other times, nothing happens.

jseymour

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2018
S.E. Michigan, USA
It all just became moot, for me. Turned out the only way to clear out what was in iCloud was to re-enable iCloud for Mail, clear out all my email on my iPhone and iPad (by way of deleting the accounts for the non-Apple servers), then turning off Mail in iCloud.

Now all I have configured into the Mail app is my Apple email, and I don't use that anymore.

Problem solved :)

Reactions: uandme72
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.