Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jopeq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2021
hello
i am seriously considering purchasing iphone 13 as soon as it is released.

i will purchase at full cost, it means at apple retail store or online

does apple charge you for upgrading ios every year (example: ios 14 - ios 15)?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
hello
i am seriously considering purchasing iphone 13 as soon as it is released.

i will purchase at full cost, it means at apple retail store or online

does apple charge you for upgrading ios every year (example: ios 14 - ios 15)?
There is no additional cost for iOS upgrades.

jopeq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2021
There is no additional cost for iOS upgrades.
thanks a lot.

saved me lot of bucks. i could have walked into store and sales person would have sold me iphone 12. these kind of things happen to me due to my outright payment by cash or card.

Moka.sOnkel

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2008
Maybe it is worth noting that the system upgrades are free for many years. It is only when older hardware does not support certain features of a new release of iOS when you get stuck to the latest release of iOS which is supported by your phone. That happens usually after some 5 to 7 years. But even after that you may get (free) security updates to the previous release for another couple of years. The current iOS 14 does support the iPhone 6s (release September 2015) but not the iPhone 6 (released September 2014).

There is hardly any other smartphone which gets fresh updates every year for such a long period.

Last edited:

jopeq

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2021
ios 13 is supporting whooping 15 models. wow !!!! so, it means i need to check support website or announcement whether upgrade is possible or not for my device.

Moka.sOnkel

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2008
ios 13 is supporting whooping 15 models. wow !!!! so, it means i need to check support website or announcement whether upgrade is possible or not for my device.
Usually you do not really need to check a support website to get info on whether or not an update is available. The System Preferences App of your iPhone will show a red number when a system update is available and if you wish updates can even be installed automatically.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.