Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwatters579

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2015
Anyone having a problem with the Philips Hue app and IOS12 app? I launch it and get a "Update Available" screen and it won't update or anything. Just "connecting".

Attachments

• 30054BD0-0350-4C79-8F32-110BC8AE1628.png
    30054BD0-0350-4C79-8F32-110BC8AE1628.png
    364.1 KB · Views: 608

garlicbread24

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2015
no problem for me either just checked. Is there a reason you're using the hue app and not the home kit integration though? I guess you could have the original bridge

jorsuss

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2007
Are you still having issues with the the Hue bridge? I'm having all kinds of issues with my Hue lights and it happened right after I updated to the latest public beta. I'm just not completely sure that my issues are from the beta though.

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
Are you still having issues with the the Hue bridge? I'm having all kinds of issues with my Hue lights and it happened right after I updated to the latest public beta. I'm just not completely sure that my issues are from the beta though.

Been a Hue user since they came out and have experienced the pains but mostly, pleasure now. Running iOS 12 B3 and B4 now and have had no issues. I was not aware there was an update but will try it later tonight. No issues and everything is working as it should. I have 22 Hue lights.

oarx

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2015
OKC
Anyone having a problem with the Philips Hue app and IOS12 app? I launch it and get a "Update Available" screen and it won't update or anything. Just "connecting".

YES! I am, i've searched online and found nothing. I actually worked on this this morning, tried to plug the bridge directly into the router, forgot my wifi networks on my phone and reconnected, tried to connect to both 2.4 or 5hz networks. I can't get my phone to get past the connecting spinning ball.

I have an android phone that connects. My wife's iPhone x connects. My iPad pro connects. I only have one bridge and everything else is working except my iPhone. It was working before the last beta, and now its not. Short of deleting the app and reinstalling, i've tried everything i can think of.

I figured i'll wait for a hue app update or the next beta. The nice thing about my situation is that i have other devices that i can access the bridge with. AND, everything works from my iPhone X if i use Siri, or use other apps that can change the hue lights, such as Elgato's Eve app. It's the hue app on my phone specifically that doesn't connect.

My iPhone X's hue app constantly shows "connecting" at the bottom, i can go through some screens and i see that it does also show that i have an update pending, but of course i cont, every other device works fine, it seems like the hue app on the iPhone got stuck somehow thinking there's an update

jorsuss

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2007
Been a Hue user since they came out and have experienced the pains but mostly, pleasure now. Running iOS 12 B3 and B4 now and have had no issues. I was not aware there was an update but will try it later tonight. No issues and everything is working as it should. I have 22 Hue lights.

Do you have any other smart devices in the mix? Amazon Echo, Harmony remote, Google home? I recently moved into a new apartment but it was working fine for 3 weeks and then gave me problems. I think I have too many gadgets and I can't pinpoint what went wrong, I just noticed it started after I did that beta update but it could just be coincidence. I got everything back up but the only thing that worked was buying a new Hue bridge and a new bulb. Then I was able to add all of the other lights individually.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
I had the same problem with Hue and iOS 11.4.1. Tried everything and it didn’t work. Happened when the Hue app updated to v3.
I eventually deleted the Hue app and reinstalled it. I was lycky because all settings in iOS Home was still there and copied right back to the newly reinstalled Hue app. It saved me a lot of time since I have a pretty advanced lightning setup.
Good luck!
[doublepost=1532700152][/doublepost]
YES! I am, i've searched online and found nothing. I actually worked on this this morning, tried to plug the bridge directly into the router, forgot my wifi networks on my phone and reconnected, tried to connect to both 2.4 or 5hz networks. I can't get my phone to get past the connecting spinning ball.

I have an android phone that connects. My wife's iPhone x connects. My iPad pro connects. I only have one bridge and everything else is working except my iPhone. It was working before the last beta, and now its not. Short of deleting the app and reinstalling, i've tried everything i can think of.

I figured i'll wait for a hue app update or the next beta. The nice thing about my situation is that i have other devices that i can access the bridge with. AND, everything works from my iPhone X if i use Siri, or use other apps that can change the hue lights, such as Elgato's Eve app. It's the hue app on my phone specifically that doesn't connect.

My iPhone X's hue app constantly shows "connecting" at the bottom, i can go through some screens and i see that it does also show that i have an update pending, but of course i cont, every other device works fine, it seems like the hue app on the iPhone got stuck somehow thinking there's an update

See my other post above. There’s only one fix—reinstall the Hue app! I spent three weeks trying to solve this (on my own because Phillips didn’t help) and eventually gave up and reinstalled the Hue app. I was lucky though and all settings was copied back from iOS to the Hue app (see my above post).

Last edited:

AbSoluTc

Contributor
Sep 21, 2008
Do you have any other smart devices in the mix? Amazon Echo, Harmony remote, Google home? I recently moved into a new apartment but it was working fine for 3 weeks and then gave me problems. I think I have too many gadgets and I can't pinpoint what went wrong, I just noticed it started after I did that beta update but it could just be coincidence. I got everything back up but the only thing that worked was buying a new Hue bridge and a new bulb. Then I was able to add all of the other lights individually.

22 Hue Lights
12 iHome plug in outlets
EcoBee 3

Everything working as it should. Have not update anything after running iOS 12 beta though. Will wait until its final.

oarx

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2015
OKC
I had the same problem with Hue and iOS 11.4.1. Tried everything and it didn’t work. Happened when the Hue app updated to v3.
I eventually deleted the Hue app and reinstalled it. I was lycky because all settings in iOS Home was still there and copied right back to the newly reinstalled Hue app. It saved me a lot of time since I have a pretty advanced lightning setup.
Good luck!
[doublepost=1532700152][/doublepost]

See my other post above. There’s only one fix—reinstall the Hue app! I spent three weeks trying to solve this (on my own because Phillips didn’t help) and eventually gave up and reinstalled the Hue app. I was lucky though and all settings was copied back from iOS to the Hue app (see my above post).

So I ended up just deleting the app and reinstalling it. It was actually not the big a deal once i did. It installed just like it was before. Its just weird that it happened to begin with.

Mr$tone

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2017
So I ended up just deleting the app and reinstalling it. It was actually not the big a deal once i did. It installed just like it was before. Its just weird that it happened to begin with.
Did reinstall solve it?

I was also surprised all data was still there after reinstall. Guess it has to do with the Home app that saves Hue data. Whenever I reinstall any other app, all data is lost.

Don’t forget to log in inside the Hue app again, otherwise ”positioning” wont work (i.e. turning on/off lights depending on your location). Also go through all settings. I remember there was a few important ones that needed to be turned on agan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.