Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
Im wondering does iOS12 has a better use of battery consuming than iOS9 or previews versions of iOS? And if so, is this somewhere documented with tests etc?

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
Im wondering does iOS12 has a better use of battery consuming than iOS9 or previews versions of iOS? And if so, is this somewhere documented with tests etc?

It is worse than iOS 11.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
If you are wrong, by updating, i will have crossed the point of no return!

If I’m wrong your battery will improve. Would you mind better battery? If I am right, you’ll regret not listening to me and suffer from worse battery as advised to you.

zoran

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 30, 2005
#aakshey I'm on iOS9 at the moment, does iOS9 have a worse battery management than iOS11?

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
#aakshey I'm on iOS9 at the moment, does iOS9 have a worse battery management than iOS11?

The newer the OS the worse the battery will be for iPhones. For iPads it shouldn’t be very different with an iOS update.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I updated my 6S Plus through a number of iOS betas and the final general release. Aside from speed improvements the battery usage was a little better.
Now, on my XS Max, I’m getting 1.25 to 1.5 days of usage between charges, granted The battery is larger but so is the screen which eats a lot of power and I’m constantly;ty browsing and loading lots of pages. Either way I find photo editing to be the biggest battery eater for me. I try to do as much as I can on my 12.9" IPP which last very long.

If you back up your phone, then upgrade to iOS 12 bit don’t like it, couldn’t you restore your phone to the previous back-up with whatever iOS you were running before the upgrade?
I’m not sure about this. I would want someone with more knowledge to conform or deny.

I’ve been ver happy with iOS 12 but people’s experiences seem to differ widely.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I updated my 6S Plus through a number of iOS betas and the final general release. Aside from speed improvements the battery usage was a little better.
Now, on my xS Max, I’m getting 1.25 to 1.5 days of usage between charges, grantees Ethernet battery is large but so is the screen which eats a lot of power.

If you back up your phone, then upgrade to iOS 12 bit don’t like it, couldn’t you restore your phone to the previous back-up with whatever iOS you were running before the upgrade?
I’m not sure about this. I would want someone with more knowledge to conform or deny.

I’ve been ver happy with iOS 12 but people’s experiences seem to differ widely.
Backups just restore data, they don't have or do anything related to the iOS version itself.

Knight3

Suspended
Oct 19, 2018
The newer the OS the worse the battery will be for iPhones. For iPads it shouldn’t be very different with an iOS update.

How come it's worse for one set of devices while it stays the same for the others? They both share the same iOS, similar processor architecture and the same battery technology.
Either you submit proofs or you stop blurting out stuff. Scaring people into the worst doesn't make you a genius.
[doublepost=1541870994][/doublepost]
If I’m wrong your battery will improve. Would you mind better battery? If I am right, you’ll regret not listening to me and suffer from worse battery as advised to you.

You're wrong either way without proof to support your statements.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
How come it's worse for one set of devices while it stays the same for the others? They both share the same iOS, similar processor architecture and the same battery technology.
Either you submit proofs or you stop blurting out stuff. Scaring people into the worst doesn't make you a genius.
[doublepost=1541870994][/doublepost]

You're wrong either way without proof to support your statements.

The proof is right here on this forum and on YouTube. Figure it out for yourself if you’re genuinely interested.

Knight3

Suspended
Oct 19, 2018
There isn’t. You’re wrong.

A lot of people would disagree. There was one update that messed up the battery even when it was at 97% health. They swapped the battery for free cuz of the unusual spikes in the usage and it's been the same ever since. So yeah, I'm the one living proof among many.

And if you still believe there's no one who's had good experience with iOS 12, I'd say you haven't read them all. You're welcome to read through thousands of posts.

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
According to other results I have seen, iOS 12's battery life is about half than that of iOS 9. Maybe a little higher, but I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near decent compared to iOS 9.

aakshey

macrumors 68030
Jun 13, 2016
According to other results I have seen, iOS 12's battery life is about half than that of iOS 9. Maybe a little higher, but I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near decent compared to iOS 9.

Seems about right.

Knight3

Suspended
Oct 19, 2018

You can't expect to get the exact same battery life with all the extra features packed in after three iterations in the OS. That'd be absolutely ridiculous. But then again, it wouldn't be like half of what you got with iOS 9. Unless, of course, you're having the same messed up battery issue like I did with iOS 12.0.1 which was resolved after a battery replacement.

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There isn't a single/general answer that will apply the same way to everyone. The reality is just that.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
You can't expect to get the exact same battery life with all the extra features packed in after three iterations in the OS. That'd be absolutely ridiculous. But then again, it wouldn't be like half of what you got with iOS 9. Unless, of course, you're having the same messed up battery issue like I did with iOS 12.0.1 which was resolved after a battery replacement.
On Macs, battery life is much more stable after updates. They might decrease, but not to the level iOS devices decrease. I think it's lack of optimisation for older devices by Apple. Just a guess, no proof, just speculation.
All I say is people shouldn't update. If they do, then they should generally expect both poor performance and far worse battery life.

Knight3

Suspended
Oct 19, 2018
On Macs, battery life is much more stable after updates. They might decrease, but not to the level iOS devices decrease. I think it's lack of optimisation for older devices by Apple. Just a guess, no proof, just speculation.
All I say is people shouldn't update. If they do, then they should generally expect both poor performance and far worse battery life.

Macs use entirely different OS and when you’re not constrained on space, you can manage better.
I’d say it’s mostly cuz of the better performance and efficiency of the newer processors. They’d definitely prioritize newer devices over old ones which is pure business.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe

If you want FACTS, aakshey might be perhaps not the first you should ask... have a look at what he posted about battery drain and you can judge for yourself... most people are very pleased about IOS 12, also regarding battery life....

To get more objective information, one should only regard the same iPhone model before and after upgrading (less variable basis) ...

so have a look here for lots of serious reports concerning battery life:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ios-12-on-iphone-se-is-performance-battery-life-worse.2139326/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.