Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mgeorgetti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2021
I have an iPad Mini 4 that was requesting to update to iOS 15. The iPad downloaded and installed the update as normal but, when the it restarted to apply the update, it has been on a continuous loop of displaying the black screen with the Apple logo and a white progress bar. The power button is unresponsive to force a shut down. I let the battery drain hoping that a shutdown and restart would break it out of its loop but that has done nothing. Is there anything that I can do to fix this? Thank you in advance for the help.

ericwn

macrumors G5
Apr 24, 2016
Try to connect it to a PC or Mac and see if you can install the update from there.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Is there anything that I can do to fix this?
How long did the Apple logo and white progress bar display? I have seen devices take over 24 hours to "install" before. Just keep it plugged in.

If the white progress bar has displayed for longer than 48 hours: Plug into Apple computer and try simple restore first using finder and Mac computer updated to latest OS. If simple restore fails due to boot kernel panic ( due to letting it die during installation ) you may try a DFU restore ( google for process ).

If all this fails, download Apple Configurator and try Advanced > Revive device.

mgeorgetti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 29, 2021
Thank you for the responses. Plugging the iPad into a computer and forcing it to restore and update has fixed it.

Reactions: 960design
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.