Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
May be a iPhone 14 thing, or just a me thing, but aside from the APPALLING battery life, which was great prior, but won't get me through a day now, every notification stays on screen lit up forever, regardless of the notification settings, and that they were FINE before this ridiculous iOS18. Instructions to get back to 17 please!!!! I can't even be bothered to go into the countless other things that are now messed up from this ONCE great phone. They have no business releasing this operating system when it's so wrong. Never had thiese problems with any other iOS.

Thanks

Also, can one person tell me they're getting the lock screen light up periodically and stay lit for no notifications at all.
Getting on my nerves as that's no doubt also killing the battery!

Last edited:

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Make sure that screen lock is not set to never...

You can also try to Reset All Settings not Erase All Content and Settings...

Also, wrong forum...

Reactions: Peter Franks

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
Make sure that screen lock is not set to never...

You can also try to Reset All Settings not Erase All Content and Settings...

Also, wrong forum...
No, set to 30 seconds like it's always been, I've not changed anything at all, other than downloading this iOS18 which has made the 14 a lousy phone that won't last half a day, and lock screen lights up for notifications and also whenever it feels like it with no notifications. I hope the roll back is idiot proof? I can't stay on this OS

JohnLuke

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2016
The procedure will cause the total loss of your data.
First make sure you have a backup of your iPhone on iOS 17 (if the backup is of iOS 18 you can’t restore in iOS 17.6.1) then do this:
1. Download the ipsw file of iOS 17.6.1
2. Connect your iPhone to your Mac and set it to Dfu mode
3. On the Restore screen press and hold the “option” button while you click on “Restore” and choose the previously downloaded file
4. Wait for iOS to be installed
5. Restore backup of your data

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I don’t know about the Lock Screen waking up issue, but I also tried to install back iPadOS 17 with the IPSW, and the Mac refused to do it. It gave me a weird bug, so I reinstalled iPadOS 18.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
The procedure will cause the total loss of your data.
First make sure you have a backup of your iPhone on iOS 17 (if the backup is of iOS 18 you can’t restore in iOS 17.6.1) then do this:
1. Download the ipsw file of iOS 17.6.1
2. Connect your iPhone to your Mac and set it to Dfu mode
3. On the Restore screen press and hold the “option” button while you click on “Restore” and choose the previously downloaded file
4. Wait for iOS to be installed
5. Restore backup of your data
Thank you!! Is this fairly idiot proof?:cool:
There is no way to rollback in iOS but you can try doing a reset all settings and you’ll see most issues subside
Thanks, I'll try that first but 17 was kinder, and 16 was perfect battery life wise.
17.6.1 is still being signed so they can definitely roll back.. If they don't have an 17.6.1 backup they will have to setup the phone as new.
Last resort I'd do new... thank you
I don’t know about the Lock Screen waking up issue, but I also tried to install back iPadOS 17 with the IPSW, and the Mac refused to do it. It gave me a weird bug, so I reinstalled iPadOS 18.
Uh oh, that's not good. The random light up lock screen that stays on, affected iPad too, but I'm not as bothered about that as the phone. The 'Follow Up' in emails I've turned off on every released iOS since they introduced it, and regardless it STILL shows up a load of emails every other day, no matter what I do, so there will always be mysteries to me with these things

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
battery life seems to suck for a bit after a new update, not sure if the phone is doing some housekeeping for the new OS in the background, it's just re-calibrating the battery gauge and giving a false low reading, you're playing with the new features a bit more, or some combination of the three.

There's always a ton of "battery life sucks" posts in the first week or so, but they tend to clear up after a few days.

You can also try erasing the phone, and restoring from a backup, that should help clear up anything that might have gotten corrupted,

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Thank you!! Is this fairly idiot proof?:cool:
Not at all idiot proof, actually. Pretty easy to lose data doing this.

There's always a ton of "battery life sucks" posts in the first week or so, but they tend to clear up after a few days
This is the better answer. Take a deep breath, don’t interfere with iOS doing its thing for a few days, and battery life will magically improve.

And if you’re the type to… how do I put this… “obsess” about iOS performance issues, maybe wait for the .2/.3 version for future updates.

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
battery life seems to suck for a bit after a new update, not sure if the phone is doing some housekeeping for the new OS in the background, it's just re-calibrating the battery gauge and giving a false low reading, you're playing with the new features a bit more, or some combination of the three.

There's always a ton of "battery life sucks" posts in the first week or so, but they tend to clear up after a few days.

You can also try erasing the phone, and restoring from a backup, that should help clear up anything that might have gotten corrupted,
Thanks, I get the first few days battery are always low, and it can right itself, I'm not really messing with it, It's just losing at a rate of knots at present and expected it to be OK by now. I've never downloaded new iOS first day. Until now.
Not at all idiot proof, actually. Pretty easy to lose data doing this.

This is the better answer. Take a deep breath, don’t interfere with iOS doing its thing for a few days, and battery life will magically improve.

And if you’re the type to… how do I put this… “obsess” about iOS performance issues, maybe wait for the .2/.3 version for future updates.
I'm not obsessing so to speak, I've just found a lot of faults. The 'follow up' in Mail has never been fixed in any update since introduced. I get follow up suggestions a ridiculous amount of times, and it's been 'OFF' since day 1.

Re current release...... iOS18.
Has anyone else noticed in their 'Mail' app, the Apple one, attachments sit for ages until they download the images?
That's a big negative compared to last one when they downloaded instantly

Peter Franks

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 9, 2011
For the people that say battery is always lousy after a new release and that you mess with it a lot more and it will right itself, I'd have been inclined to agree with you with pretty much every single previous iOS release, and the last couple of them have righted themselves. However............. 10 days on this is definitely not the case with iOS18. Fact! Little use or some use makes not an iota of difference. This eats battery like nothing before it. I've turned off all the usual suspects and nothing works. Anyone who owns the 14 and is still getting a decent battery life each day, as I was prior to this update, just don't do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.