Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emily_frank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2018
Hey guys. Hope you're are doing good. Newbie here. iPad Mini 4 user for a year almost. A few days ago bought me an iPad 9.7 2018 (6th gen, WiFi only) too. Noticed that it gets considerably hot in the region below where the A10 Processor is located (as depicted in the picture linked below for clarity) like when doing tasks such as casual browsing (Safari), Twitch streaming, Youtube, etc.

Guess "considerably" here could be a relative term. I use all of my devices with no cover/cases. Haven't felt the same issue with the iPad Mini 4 even with its thin and small body. Also, have no clue whether it's a normal phenomenon with the current gen entry-level 9.7 iPads. Played some graphics intensive games to find out this abnormality in the region being hot. As expected it pumped the temperature on the region of A10 processor. But I don't get it why there is a rise in temperature around the region of WiFi/Bluetooth module & Touchscreen controller during the usage of other apps. Does anybody have any idea of this? Any iPad users experiencing the same?

Though I don't have a thermal image of the device to prove my point. I did reinforce my doubt with the help of people I shared the device with. I also have a few days left if in case I want to exchange the device. Again, if exchanging is the only way I don't know how will I be able to prove the issue to the guys in the store for a new device. Please help a sista in concern

Link:
https://imgur.com/a/kv22NzE
Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

Last edited:

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Your iPad is normal. These things are mass produced and each one is identical. It's normal for a computer to generate heat. It's an information engine.

NoBoMac

Staff member
Jul 1, 2014
Wifi chip will get warm with continued wifi use.

Have not taxed the new iPad as yet, however, my previous Gen 3 (Retina) iPad did get hot from time-to-time. Lasted six years. And got hot in the very same spot with heavy wifi use.

From what I can tell, each generation of the 9.7" has had basically the same logic board. And every generation of 9.7", people complain about being hot there. Add in that the metal band on that board appears to be a heat sink/spreader, lots of heat being generated and dissipated along that area.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Wifi chip will get warm with continued wifi use.

Have not taxed the new iPad as yet, however, my previous Gen 3 (Retina) iPad did get hot from time-to-time. Lasted six years. And got hot in the very same spot with heavy wifi use.

From what I can tell, each generation of the 9.7" has had basically the same logic board. And every generation of 9.7", people complain about being hot there. Add in that the metal band on that board appears to be a heat sink/spreader, lots of heat being generated and dissipated along that area.

Seems to mirror what I’ve seen with my iPad 2018 and previous iPads. I would follow the advice of the above posters and not worry about it. These things are designed to take some heat and they deal with it a lot better than they have in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.