Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Levina

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 29, 2011
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hello,

I bought the iPad 2020 and am loving it. I use it mostly as an iPad but every now and then I need to type larger bodies of text and the on-board keyboard is problematic, to say the least. The cheapest solution would be to connect the wired keyboard from my old Mac Pro to the iPad. So I bought the Lightning to USB Camera Adapter, reading that it would do the trick. It doesn't. I get the message that the device requires too much power.

So will it work with a powered USB hub? Or do I need the Lightning to USB-3 camera adapter? And if so, will that be enough or do I still need an external power source?

Thanks for any help!

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
It will work with the adapter that also has the power input port. Same with a powered hub compatible with the iPad.

Edit: Should note that I don't know of any true hubs that would be compatible.

Last edited:

kiralygabor

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2020
Some accessories (like your keyboard) are using too much energy, so yeah, you need the Lightning to USB-3 camera adapter and there you connect your charger.

This is just because of the Lightning connector.

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
I’d take advantage of the Smart Connector and obtain an Apple Smart Keyboard. They work well and need no external power or battery charging. It really turns the iPad into a laptop replacement. If price is a concern secondhand ones are readily available.

Otherwise I would guess the USB 3 Adapter connected to power will work with your wired keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.