Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tps3443

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 24, 2019
NC,USA
So, I have 2 kids ages 6 and 7 years old. After dealing with both of my children fighting me for my iPad Pro 11” on a daily basis, I had to do something, they just liked it so much being my first tablet ever. So, I bought my 7 year old daughter a Nintendo switch; that’s what she wanted. But, my 6 year old son insisted on his own iPad and nothing else would suffice lol. So, I bought him a iPad 6th gen at Walmart today.

This is the first time for them to ever get any kind of expensive electronics. And I thought it was crazy at first to get a 6 year old his own new iPad. But maybe not.

I’m very impressed with the iPad 6th gen. I love it! I just sold my 11” iPad Pro in pursuit for the same thing with only more storage. And I’m honestly really liking these new iPads.

The only thing that stands out to me immediately is the refresh rate on the screen, and that’s only when I was browsing the web mostly.

Anyone on the fence about one of these will not be dissapointed! Much sturdier than my iPad Pro, and it has not shown any touch issues at all.

There is another member on here who has expressed great satisfaction in the iPad 6th gen. Cannot remember his user name, but I have to agree.

Obviously, I am still a iPad Pro 3rd gen user. But, I almost feel like I should have purchased the iPad 6th gen first.

Last edited:

xx22

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2017
"So, I bought my 7 year old daughter a Nintendo switch; that’s what she wanted. But, my 6 year old son insisted on his own iPad and nothing else would suffice lol. So, I bought him a iPad 6th gen at Walmart today."

Once upon a time children used to play outdoors.

Reactions: Fozziebear71

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
So, I have 2 kids ages 6 and 7 years old. After dealing with both of my children fighting me for my iPad Pro 11” on a daily basis, I had to do something, they just liked it so much being my first tablet ever. So, I bought my 7 year old daughter a Nintendo switch; that’s what she wanted. But, my 6 year old son insisted on his own iPad and nothing else would suffice lol. So, I bought him a iPad 6th gen at Walmart today.

This is the first time for them to ever get any kind of expensive electronics. And I thought it was crazy at first to get a 6 year old his own new iPad. But maybe not.

I’m very impressed with the iPad 6th gen. I love it! I just sold my 11” iPad Pro in pursuit for the same thing with only more storage. And I’m honestly really liking these new iPads.

The only thing that stands out to me immediately is the refresh rate on the screen, and that’s only when I was browsing the web mostly.

Anyone on the fence about one of these will not be dissapointed! Much sturdier than my iPad Pro, and it has not shown any touch issues at all.

There is another member on here who has expressed great satisfaction in the iPad 6th gen. Cannot remember his user name, but I have to agree.

Obviously, I am still a iPad Pro 3rd gen user. But, I almost feel like I should have purchased the iPad 6th gen first.
Good choice! I highly recommend getting your 6 yr old a Logitech Pencil for that iPad. $50 and does everything that the Apple Pencil does (except for pressure sensitivity) and is more durable/sturdy.

A good thing to keep in mind is that because the 2018 iPad uses the iPad Air 1 chassis, all of the cases and accessories for the Air 1 will work with the 2018 iPad... and can be found dirt cheap.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Definitely agree these are among the best value products Apple currently have to offer. No significant issues, reasonably up to date hardware, the same excellent software support all their products have and all for a price you can't grumble at. I'd like to think they might look at bringing this approach to the MacBook line using the 2012-15 MacBook pro chassis as the basis for some new MacBooks, but that's getting a little off topic!

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada

You’re brave, I got a 5 and a 6 year old at home and they don’t touch my iPad lol. I got them a cheaper android tablet with a case that’s survived a few good tumbles

But I do agree whole heartedly that the 6th gen is one of the best bang for the buck products Apple has come out with in a long time. I love mine, even convinced both my parents to get themselves each one and they use them daily.

One day I’ll get the kids iPad for themselves, but for now all they use theirs for is minecraft and Netflix which my android ones cover just fine. Got them 3 android tablets for less than the cost of my iPad

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I am loving my 6th Gen iPad 9.7'. It is one of the most used Apple devices in my possession. I'm actually taking steps to make it even more of a primary driver for a lot of what I do. I love reading on it. I bought one last year, sold it to my brother when I tried to use my 8+ for my primary device (didn't last long) -- got another one early this year and am using it all the time. I've already read a few books on it, my news/youtube intake, I pair it up with a bluetooth keyboard and journal/think on my iPad as well as talk to my wife via iMessage during work.

Great device, no complaints. Planning on using it for many years.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
I am loving my 6th Gen iPad 9.7'. It is one of the most used Apple devices in my possession. I'm actually taking steps to make it even more of a primary driver for a lot of what I do. I love reading on it. I bought one last year, sold it to my brother when I tried to use my 8+ for my primary device (didn't last long) -- got another one early this year and am using it all the time. I've already read a few books on it, my news/youtube intake, I pair it up with a bluetooth keyboard and journal/think on my iPad as well as talk to my wife via iMessage during work.

Great device, no complaints. Planning on using it for many years.
I snagged a 2018 iPad on Amazon during the holidays for $229. It smokes my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and I paid more for that. The only thing the Galaxy Tab S2 has that's better than the iPad is the OLED screen.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Good choice! I highly recommend getting your 6 yr old a Logitech Pencil for that iPad. $50 and does everything that the Apple Pencil does (except for pressure sensitivity) and is more durable/sturdy.

A good thing to keep in mind is that because the 2018 iPad uses the iPad Air 1 chassis, all of the cases and accessories for the Air 1 will work with the 2018 iPad... and can be found dirt cheap.

Good to know about the pencil. I have been wondering if anyone had experience with it, and whether it was decent.
[doublepost=1551794403][/doublepost]I used a 2018 iPad for 10 months before going to my iPP 11” a couple months ago. I had two, 12.9 pros prior, but wanted to downsize. I didn’t do that at release because I was really pleased with the 6th generation, and wasn’t sure I was gonna upgrade to the pro at all.

Ultimately I did upgrade, mostly because my iPad is my main/only computing device, and I just wanted the best overall experience I could get. In addition, since I never planned to have the 2016 very long, I had only purchased the 32 gb, and I really needed more storage on my main device.

However, my grandkids are all using 5th and 6th generation iPads, and they are fantastic devices. I’m gradually going through them over the course of the year and upgrading the older ones all to 6th generation (actually, the oldest will likely get 7th gens if they’re a decent upgrade), mainly for the pencil support (planning to buy Logitechs), so they can use them for home schooling.

hinesmj

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
New York

old.jpg

Otflyer

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2017
SF Bay Area
Great value. I just bought one for $249 to use as a monitor for my drones. My 5 and 7 year old grand kids both have iPad mini 4’s. Nothing wrong with that. Their parents limit the time they can use them and the content they have access to.

Reactions: sracer

AppleHaterLover

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2018
"So, I bought my 7 year old daughter a Nintendo switch; that’s what she wanted. But, my 6 year old son insisted on his own iPad and nothing else would suffice lol. So, I bought him a iPad 6th gen at Walmart today."

This is indeed a problem with kids nowadays. You'll be at a restaurant and every single sub-12 year old kid will have an iPad or a giant ass iPhone stuck to their faces instead of interacting with their families.

Back in the day, if I misbehaved my mother would take my Game Boy away for a week or something. Nowadays these children make a massive ****ing fuss and get an iPad as a reward. It's almost blackmail.

But yes, the current iPad 9.7 is very good value for money.

Reactions: sracer

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
This is indeed a problem with kids nowadays. You'll be at a restaurant and every single sub-12 year old kid will have an iPad or a giant ass iPhone stuck to their faces instead of interacting with their families.

Back in the day, if I misbehaved my mother would take my Game Boy away for a week or something. Nowadays these children make a massive ****ing fuss and get an iPad as a reward. It's almost blackmail.

But yes, the current iPad 9.7 is very good value for money.

When my grandkids get in trouble or don’t listen, they get their iPads taken away for a week.

Honestly, they probably don’t know life without iPads. My son-in-law was in the navy and there was a LOT of travel with older babies/toddlers that very much disliked the car. iPads and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse pretty much saved our sanity.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Not knowing life without an iPad is an issue.. my kids gets to use their tablets 1 hour a day and kicked off to do something more productive and all electronics are turned off at 6

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.