Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manyelski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Hello all, got my ipad 7th gen almost new a couple of days ago and the battery is trash! Litteraly drains pike hell, 2-3 min of an online video drains 1% just simple browsing drains battery like hell as well. It is updated the latest trash iOS and I have optimized all possible tweaks so that to preserve battery life, and it still continues being way below average. Remember back in the days had iPad 3 and the battery would easily go over a week or so. And now fancy new processors, iOS, etc and battery life of 2 hours ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Did you restore from a backup or setup as new?

It can take a few days for the background processed to optimize things. Leave it plugged in on WiFi during the night and after a day or two it should normalize.

manyelski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Did you restore from a backup or setup as new?

It can take a few days for the background processed to optimize things. Leave it plugged in on WiFi during the night and after a day or two it should normalize.

Set up as a new. Just used my iphone to start the process and then everything as a new. Hopefully after a fee days it gets much better

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
Set up as a new. Just used my iphone to start the process and then everything as a new. Hopefully after a fee days it gets much better

It will even the new iPhones are the same. My 11 had worse battery than my 8+ initially. Now it lasts a lot longer but the beta iOS 14 did Bork some of the battery. Then the latest update drained as it was updating additional caches. It’s been normal now for a while but each update can deter that a bit.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
You said it's a 7th gen iPad, which has been out for a little over a year. Did you buy it refurbished or from someone else? It's possible the battery has some normal wear-and-tear by now. Have you checked the battery health in Settings? If you still have some type of warranty on it, you could always return/exchange it if battery life doesn't improve over the next few days.

manyelski

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 3, 2014
Is that considered old?

Attachments

• A2A2920D-684C-4D4F-92FF-85B76B43CE72.png
    A2A2920D-684C-4D4F-92FF-85B76B43CE72.png
    625 KB · Views: 222

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Hello all, got my ipad 7th gen almost new a couple of days ago and the battery is trash! Litteraly drains pike hell, 2-3 min of an online video drains 1% just simple browsing drains battery like hell as well. It is updated the latest trash iOS and I have optimized all possible tweaks so that to preserve battery life, and it still continues being way below average. Remember back in the days had iPad 3 and the battery would easily go over a week or so. And now fancy new processors, iOS, etc and battery life of 2 hours ??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️??‍♂️
Note, 1% drain for 2-3 minutes of use translates to 3-5 hours of battery life.

I do remember the iPad 3. Battery did last for a long time but I also remember it was slow and a lot of websites didn't work well so for I normally switched to the laptop or desktop most times.

As mentioned, battery drain is usually high during the first few days but that should normalize after the initial setup has been fully completed. On very low brightness (0-15%, sometimes with Reduce White Point enabled), I typically get 1h30m of web browsing (mostly text heavy) per 10% battery on the iPad 7.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Simple Battery Test:
  1. Close all apps ( https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201330 )
  2. Set display brightness to 100% ( this will have a huge impact on battery life ).
    1. 50% brightness with very low ambient will increase battery life up to 50%.
  3. Charge overnight to 100%
  4. Open Safari to youtube ( not the youtube app )
  5. Search for an 8 hour video ( relaxing waterfall is a good one )
  6. Play video in default safari / youtube browser settings ( NOT fullscreen ).
  7. If video plays for 4-5 hours your iPad's battery is okay ( 6+ is ideal, aka you have strong/close/non congested wifi environment ).

Reactions: manyelski
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.