Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SergArtz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
Hi people,
I'm very interested in purchasing an IPP 12.9 as an additional tool for my Design and Illustration job. I'm not on a big urge for it and since I found out that the recent A12z is just a slight improvement from the A12x from almost 2 years ago, I wonder whether it'd be best to wait until next October to see if Apple releases a new IPP.

Do you think there is any chance that we will see a new IPP with a new CPU and perhaps more ram coming at the end of 2020?

Thanks!

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
All the more credible leaks I’ve seen suggest we’ll probably see a budget iPad this year, new iPad Pro early next year probably with the march event. The timeline will probably be: September 2020: iPhone and new Apple Watch and maybe a quiet Apple TV drop, early next year march event will be new ipad pros, macs and “one more thing” being apple glasses shown up for a much later release.

Dude...I just got the iPad Pro 12.9 a few days ago and having used it with even the more cpu intensive apps, I cant imagine wanting to upgrade for years. I’d say if you have the itch, go get it right now. Even 2 years later, we still dont really see apps stressing the 2018 ipad’s internals

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I doubt there will be another one this year. If so then great, but don’t count on it.

Nonetheless, I’m waiting. Covid has made an upgrade less necessary for me in the near term, and I’d prefer to get one with mini-LED and 5G anyway.

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts
September 2020: iPhone and new Apple Watch and maybe a quiet Apple TV drop, early next year march event will be new ipad pros, macs and “one more thing” being apple glasses shown up for a much later release.
What about the rumors that are suggesting the Apple Glass reveal could be at the September event?

SergArtz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
I've always bought Apple devices when a model is one year far from being redesigned :D
Like bought my MBP one year before they released the 16' (and with no butterfly keyboard...) or my first MBP in 2011 before they launched the one with no cd-rom.
So I'm thinking whether this time I should break this habit!

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
I think I'm the minority who believes we are getting a new iPad Pro. I have some doubts that the rumored Final Cut Pro X, Xcode and Logic Pro X will all be able to properly work with the existing iPad Pro.

Most creators have multiple apps open. Either in Split-View or swiping from one app to the other. If you have photoshop open and Final Cut Pro X open, will they be able to play together without hitches? Lag? Slow-downs?. Existing iPads may be able to handle a "dumb'd"d down version, but the full version will require serious power.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
I doubt there will be another one this year. If so then great, but don’t count on it.

Nonetheless, I’m waiting. Covid has made an upgrade less necessary for me in the near term, and I’d prefer to get one with mini-LED and 5G anyway.
To clarify. Coming within a year? I believe, yes.

Coming in 2020? I won't count on it. There are only 7 months left in 2020.

Reactions: Ghost31

Populus

macrumors 603
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe

This, exactly this.

The new iPad Pro is the same of 2018 except for the camera+LiDAR system, and 6GB of RAM instead of 4GB. I am happy with my 2018 and I’ll wait patiently until the next big leap, which I doubt it will happen this year.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

SergArtz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
Coming in 2020? I won't count on it. There are only 7 months left in 2020.
Pure speculation here, but since I think latest IPP update was a bit a must to do for Apple, since they didn't refresh anything for 18 months and it doesn't seem so much more than the previous one other and ram and Lidar. So......why not in October?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
This, exactly this.

The new iPad Pro is the same of 2018 except for the camera+LiDAR system, and 6GB of RAM instead of 4GB. I am happy with my 2018 and I’ll wait patiently until the next big leap, which I doubt it will happen this year.
I have the 2017 actually. If I had the 2018 I wouldn't upgrade either.

Pure speculation here, but since I think latest IPP update was a bit a must to do for Apple, since they didn't refresh anything for 18 months and it doesn't seem so much more than the previous one other and ram and Lidar. So......why not in October?
Personally I think October is too early. However, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
This rumor never made any sense--imo

Ming Chi-Kuo is predicting 2021 now.

It should be noted though that even in 2019 he was stating the mini-LED iPad Pro might not show up until 2021.

"Apple plans to release the iPad between the fourth quarter of 2020 and the first quarter of 2021, followed by the MacBook between the first quarter and second quarter of 2021, according to Kuo."

SergArtz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2018
Ok, you guys almost convinced me :D

Another question: do you guys really feel that the SiM support is really useful over the WiFi only version? I'm not a huge internet user when I'm not at home, but since this is a hybrid concept (phone +laptop) I wonder whether it could benefit my drawing sessions at coffee shops (which usually have wifi).

In any case, I hope that some serious 3D sculpting tools will be released at some point. They're going to reconquer part of the 3D industry who currently uses windows if they just would have Zbrush oriented app.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
I really enjoy having the cellular iPad. I don’t have to worry about hooking up to a hotspot either my phone or free WiFi. It comes down to the simplicity of just turning it on and being connected without any hassle. I use my iPad mostly at home (especially right now) but cellular is really nice when out of the home.

If you don’t have an immediate need/want for a new iPad, then patience may pay off. There will always be a new device around the corner. So waiting isn’t always going to work out. If you get it through a carrier with the payment options, you can often trade it in when the new one releases. That way you don’t have to wait.

The rumor mill for iPads is a little iffy at the moment. It’s been a rollercoaster and I’m not sure anyone really knows what Apple will do. I know the links above are from people who have been pretty spot on, but they’re predictions have changed quite a bit and the virus has put a big question mark on how earlier predictions might pan out. Things will probably start becoming more clear later in the fall.

Reactions: gnomeisland

Azrael9

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2020
Hi people,
I'm very interested in purchasing an IPP 12.9 as an additional tool for my Design and Illustration job. I'm not on a big urge for it and since I found out that the recent A12z is just a slight improvement from the A12x from almost 2 years ago, I wonder whether it'd be best to wait until next October to see if Apple releases a new IPP.

Do you think there is any chance that we will see a new IPP with a new CPU and perhaps more ram coming at the end of 2020?

Thanks!

If there is, I'll buy it. I'd like a 17-21 inch version of it though. ;)

Azrael.
[automerge]1590601804[/automerge]
Ok, you guys almost convinced me :D

Another question: do you guys really feel that the SiM support is really useful over the WiFi only version? I'm not a huge internet user when I'm not at home, but since this is a hybrid concept (phone +laptop) I wonder whether it could benefit my drawing sessions at coffee shops (which usually have wifi).

In any case, I hope that some serious 3D sculpting tools will be released at some point. They're going to reconquer part of the 3D industry who currently uses windows if they just would have Zbrush oriented app.

There's every chance that Z-Brush will continue on Mac if Mac goes ARM. Mac finally gets 'touch' options and Z-Brush can be used without buying expensive Wacom pads.

Azrael.
[automerge]1590601906[/automerge]
I think I'm the minority who believes we are getting a new iPad Pro. I have some doubts that the rumored Final Cut Pro X, Xcode and Logic Pro X will all be able to properly work with the existing iPad Pro.

Most creators have multiple apps open. Either in Split-View or swiping from one app to the other. If you have photoshop open and Final Cut Pro X open, will they be able to play together without hitches? Lag? Slow-downs?. Existing iPads may be able to handle a "dumb'd"d down version, but the full version will require serious power.

Won't apps like Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro X on an iPad need far more screen space?

12.9 will be kind of cramped for those?

How about a '16 inch' iPad Pro to start with.

Or a 21 incher.

Azrael.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010

That would literally be forking the iPad line into a completely other product--this is not something Apple is going to be willing to do. Their philosophy on the iPad just doesn't seem to match this plan of attack. They've always stressed that pro apps will look/sound/run/feel better on the iPad Pro, but they've also always stressed that the same apps will still run on the iPad Air, iPad, and iPad mini and that you can still use them even when you're on more of a budget than the iPad Pro will allow.

MyopicPaideia

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2011
Sweden

Weird. Would you say that about the 13” MBP? iPP, on a 2 year old processor, has objectively at least equal CPU and GPU performance, if not better, depending on the MBP configuration. Yes, the next flagship iPad is going to have an A14X and hopefully be another huge performance step forward, but the A12X/Z is still a powerhouse today regardless of architecture. They will be able to handle whatever Apple has cooking for “pro” apps in iPadOS 14.

I really enjoy having the cellular iPad. I don’t have to worry about hooking up to a hotspot either my phone or free WiFi. It comes down to the simplicity of just turning it on and being connected without any hassle. I use my iPad mostly at home (especially right now) but cellular is really nice when out of the home.

If you don’t have an immediate need/want for a new iPad, then patience may pay off. There will always be a new device around the corner. So waiting isn’t always going to work out. If you get it through a carrier with the payment options, you can often trade it in when the new one releases. That way you don’t have to wait.

The rumor mill for iPads is a little iffy at the moment. It’s been a rollercoaster and I’m not sure anyone really knows what Apple will do. I know the links above are from people who have been pretty spot on, but they’re predictions have changed quite a bit and the virus has put a big question mark on how earlier predictions might pan out. Things will probably start becoming more clear later in the fall.

I used to think this as well, but Apple has made sharing the hotspot so easy and seamless, it is ridiculous. I mean, have always gotten the cellular models previously, my 2018 11” is a cellular model, but I never got around to getting a SIM for it after my first week of ownership because it just worked so well. I flip open my iPad and within 5sec of opening it (less time than it takes to switch my AirPods from my phone to my iPad) I am already online.

Won’t be spending the extra money on that in the future I think. If you have an iPhone and a decent data plan on that, I actually recommend not getting the cellular version.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
I used to think this as well, but Apple has made sharing the hotspot so easy and seamless, it is ridiculous. I mean, have always gotten the cellular models previously, my 2018 11” is a cellular model, but I never got around to getting a SIM for it after my first week of ownership because it just worked so well. I flip open my iPad and within 5sec of opening it (less time than it takes to switch my AirPods from my phone to my iPad) I am already online.

Won’t be spending the extra money on that in the future I think. If you have an iPhone and a decent data plan on that, I actually recommend not getting the cellular version.

I come from the opposite perspective. I’ve always had WiFi iPads and relied on Hotspot. I’ve found the convenience of not having to deal with that is better for me.

Hotspot would eat at my phone batteries. I often would connect multiple devices to hotspot too.

Plus I “upgraded” my phone plan a little while back and didn’t realize I had removed the hotspot feature. I like not having to base my plan on whether or not the carrier is being shady about the hotspot feature.

Reactions: MyopicPaideia

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
That would literally be forking the iPad line into a completely other product--this is not something Apple is going to be willing to do. Their philosophy on the iPad just doesn't seem to match this plan of attack. They've always stressed that pro apps will look/sound/run/feel better on the iPad Pro, but they've also always stressed that the same apps will still run on the iPad Air, iPad, and iPad mini and that you can still use them even when you're on more of a budget than the iPad Pro will allow.

The fact that Apple released mouse/track-pad support as well as the magic keyboard only for the iPad pro, does give me some indication that the iPad pro will become separate. We were doing just fine with basic accessibility mouse support.

The same apps will run on all iPads, but the pro line will reap the benefits. Multiple 4K edits as well as some 6K/8K.

All apps work on MacOS, but the MacBook Pro line runs it better the the Air

The iMac Pro does it better then the iMac

The Mac Pro is.... well. king.

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68030
Sep 2, 2015
Hi people,

Thanks!
Hi people,

Thanks!
There will be NO iPad Pro released in 2020 Period. Maybe we will get an iPad Pro in Holiday 2021.
heck we just got a new iPad Pro that show Zero improvement over the 2018 Pro.

If and only If there’s a new iPad Pro Released it must have 6-8GB LPDDR5 RAM Samsungs already in Production. A genuine 40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 USB-C port.
WiFi 6e

An Apple 3.2Ghz A15X CPU at 5nm with onboard A.I. Co-processors to edit 4K HDR 10-bit Video with effects in real time.

a 4K 120Hz HDR Display either OLED or Mini-LED dubbed Motion-Pro Display XDR that has Color Profiles Equal to the $8,000 XDR Mac Display so Pro Editors can Edit and Color correct photos and videos on the iPad Pro equally as well as on the $8,000 XDR Display.
[automerge]1590611491[/automerge]
The fact that Apple released mouse/track-pad support as well as the magic keyboard only for the iPad pro, does give me some indication that the iPad pro will become separate. We were doing just fine with basic accessibility mouse support.

The same apps will run on all iPads, but the pro line will reap the benefits. Multiple 4K edits as well as some 6K/8K.

We do have our own operating system so that was a big clue right there.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
If there is, I'll buy it. I'd like a 17-21 inch version of it though. ;)

Azrael.
[automerge]1590601804[/automerge]

There's every chance that Z-Brush will continue on Mac if Mac goes ARM. Mac finally gets 'touch' options and Z-Brush can be used without buying expensive Wacom pads.

Azrael.
[automerge]1590601906[/automerge]

Won't apps like Final Cut Pro and Logic Pro X on an iPad need far more screen space?

12.9 will be kind of cramped for those?

How about a '16 inch' iPad Pro to start with.

Or a 21 incher.

Azrael.

Not necessarily. The MacBook Pro 13 is a .1 inch bigger then the iPad Pro 12.9. Screen size does not make a big difference. Granted you have more real estate, but the function does not change.

spiderman0616

Suspended
Aug 1, 2010

Still not buying your argument here. There isn't a Magic Keyboard case for the non-Pro models, but there is trackpad/mouse/keyboard support all the way on down the line with plenty of non-Magic Keyboard options available to take advantage of it. There are also still Apple brand Smart Keyboard Covers. Apple Pencil support is now present on all models too. Next step will be the elimination of the home button on all models.

Apple's strategy with the iPad and iPhone, especially in the last few years, is to add more and more value to the lower end models. (Hence why the iPhone SE has the A13 Bionic, for example.) They leave it to you to decide what level of bells and whistles you're willing to pay for as you move up the line, but also want you to buy confidently knowing that the iPad or iPhone you choose will run the latest OS and apps for a good long time.

And all of the above being said--that's not even taking into account that the iPad Pro is the only iPad with its design in the lineup. The Smart Keyboard Folio and Magic Keyboard were built to use the internal magnets and newer rear Smart Connector SPECIFICALLY on that hardware design. Literally every other iPad in the lineup has the older iPad Air style design, and the only other one that has a Smart Connector has the old school one. To make a Magic Keyboard for the older models, they would have had to use resources to design a completely different one for all those older models and that's just not Apple's style. In fact my mind is blown that they bothered making it compatible with the 2018 models. Usually new accessories only fit on new iPads.

So again, I still think it's incredibly far fetched that they're going to fork the Pro line just so it can run a couple of Mac apps.

iF34R

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2011
South Carolina
There will be NO iPad Pro released in 2020 Period. Maybe we will get an iPad Pro in Holiday 2021.
heck we just got a new iPad Pro that show Zero improvement over the 2018 Pro.

If and only If there’s a new iPad Pro Released it must have 6-8GB LPDDR5 RAM Samsungs already in Production. A genuine 40Gbps Thunderbolt 3 USB-C port.
WiFi 6e

An Apple 3.2Ghz A15X CPU at 5nm with onboard A.I. Co-processors to edit 4K HDR 10-bit Video with effects in real time.

a 4K 120Hz HDR Display either OLED or Mini-LED dubbed Motion-Pro Display XDR
that has Color Profiles Equal to the $8,000 XDR Mac Display so Pro Editors can Edit and Color correct photos and videos on the iPad Pro equally as well as on the $8,000 XDR Display.
[automerge]1590611491[/automerge]

We do have our own operating system so that was a big clue right there.
I'm looking for that to be my next iPad. 'Till then, the 10.5 Pro will suffice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.