Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vanessag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2024
I just got the new iPad Air 11 M2 and have paired my AirPods. I can hear out of the AirPods but my iPad does not hear me when I speak. I am using a Zagg XTR screen protector which I notice covers the front facing camera and speaker. But would that affect my AirPods recognizing my voice??? I would think speaker and microphone are diverted to my AirPods if they are connected. Please advise.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
What do you mean it doesn’t hear you when you speak? Please give us more information.

And the screen protector shouldn’t cause any issues so don’t worry about that.

vanessag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2024
What do you mean it doesn’t hear you when you speak? Please give us more information.

And the screen protector shouldn’t cause any issues so don’t worry about that.
So, I am using my AirPods for Duo Lingo and I can hear but when I speak back it doesn’t recognize my voice. I’ve even tried to test my AirPods in the voice memo app and everything works there just fine.

Thanks for letting me know about the screen protector, I was hoping at $70 that wasn’t the problem.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
So, I am using my AirPods for Duo Lingo and I can hear but when I speak back it doesn’t recognize my voice. I’ve even tried to test my AirPods in the voice memo app and everything works there just fine.

Thanks for letting me know about the screen protector, I was hoping at $70 that wasn’t the problem.
Check the audio settings for that app, also, is it allowed to use the mic?

Reactions: KeithBN

vanessag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2024
Check the audio settings for that app, also, is it allowed to use the mic?
I checked these in settings and I have speech recognition ON and mic allowed option is ON. But would this be the iPad mic or headphones? Should I turn it off while using my headphones?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I checked these in settings and I have speech recognition ON and mic allowed option is ON. But would this be the iPad mic or headphones? Should I turn it off while using my headphones?
Those are AirPods, right?
Does the app work/recognize your voice when using the built in speakers/mic?
What do settings for AirPods say?

vanessag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2024
Those are AirPods, right?
Does the app work/recognize your voice when using the built in speakers/mic?
What do settings for AirPods say?
Yes, I’m using AirPods 2nd Gen, and my sister is using Galaxy Buds and she is having the same problem.
Yes, it does work when using the iPad speakers/microphone.
My settings for AirPods are: Microphone - Automatic, Automatic Ear detection- ON, connect to this iPad - Automatically.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Yes, I’m using AirPods 2nd Gen, and my sister is using Galaxy Buds and she is having the same problem.
Yes, it does work when using the iPad speakers/microphone.
My settings for AirPods are: Microphone - Automatic, Automatic Ear detection- ON, connect to this iPad - Automatically.
So it seems that the headphones are the issue, so in settings, Bluetooth, info “forget” the AirPods and set them up again.

Then, under privacy & security, check the microphone settings

I don’t have/use that app so my suggestions probably end here

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Put the below into Google, you might find some more suggestions there:
duo lingo app on ipad not recognizing airpods mic

vanessag

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 20, 2024
Put the below into Google, you might find some more suggestions there:
duo lingo app on ipad not recognizing airpods mic
I unpaired them and added them back and still nothing for Duo Lingo. But I will search Google per your suggestion to see what I can find. Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.