Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppIeNoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2020
Hello Team,

I have recently purchased a new IPAD Air 2020, 64 GB, variant. it has Ipados 14.1 in it now.
when i tried to play pubg mobile on it, it gives sudden frame drops/shuttering and lag in game. pubg mobile runs fine on Ipad air 3( ipad air 2020 predecessor) even having a12 bionic on it but why it does not run without any hiccups on a powerful chip like a14 bionic in ipad air 2020. are anyone other than me also facing this kind of issue?

Also i want to check in community if is it some bug realted to optimization on IpadOS or Pubg mobile side or i just recieved a faulty device.

is there any way to confirm if my device is ok in terms of hardware? i tried geekbench and other antutu and benchmark scores are fine for my device as compared with same device in market.

Best Regards,
AN

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
Its probably the pubg servers. The air 4 with its A14, will be able to play pubg at the highest settings without batting an eye lid. Keep us posted Applenoob.

Also whats it like playing intense 3d games on ipads. I only play the full fat experience on ps4 at the moment.

Reactions: BillyiPad95

AppIeNoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2020
Its probably the pubg servers. The air 4 with its A14, will be able to play pubg at the highest settings without batting an eye lid. Keep us posted Applenoob.

Also whats it like playing intense 3d games on ipads. I only play the full fat experience on ps4 at the moment.
I don't think its due to the pubg servers as at the same time game is working fluently without any issue on other devices like iPhone 11.

Seems either its an issue of A14 bionic or game optimization. I found similar reports of frame drop in iphone12 users on twitter also

Regards,
AN

Reactions: BillyiPad95

snipr125

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2015
UK
i highly doubt that because Pubg mobile is not associated with Epic games as per my knowledge. Feel free to correct me if i am wrong.

I was kind of joking, but pubg uses the Unreal engine made by Epic games right so you never know. But jokes aside it must be optimisation if iphone 12 users are getting the same performance issues.

Reactions: AppIeNoob

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Was going to say PUBG’s server too, but new hardware optimization is likely the culprit here.
I don’t play PUBG on my iPad Pro 2020 (why no controller support PUBG! lol), but I did tried once and it ran smoothly on highest graphic settings.

I currently play Call of Duty Mobile, which using inferior Unity engine compared to Unreal, and the graphic settings can not go to maximum (very high), just “high”, if I choose maximum frame rate. While devices like Galaxy Tab S7 and Snapdragon based can max out all settings. Youtube reviewers believe this is a matter of hardware optimization support.

iL15hts

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2011
Same issue with mine too. I tried other games like COD mobile it’s great even the highest framerate. Maybe optimization needed. I’m just glad I’m not alone.

AppIeNoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2020
I can confirm that it’s just not yet optimized. I played the beta version and the jerkiness has gone. Maybe it will be fixed on the next update.
Hello,

from where you downloaded the beta..i want to try it too just to be sure my device does not have any h/w issue.

Regards,
AN

Crow_Servo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2018
America
Hello,

from where you downloaded the beta..i want to try it too just to be sure my device does not have any h/w issue.

Regards,
AN
My understanding is that you need to receive an invite via the mail section in-game. I downloaded a beta once in the past, but I decided I’d wait for the official updates in the future. The beta doesn’t feel secure to me, but I’m sure it’s fine.

Reactions: AppIeNoob

AppIeNoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2020
Can you tell me if the issue still present?
Yes, now the frame drop is gone but pubg on my Snapdragon 845 android phone is still much smooth(maybe its just in my mind :) ).

is there any tool using which i can check and analyze fps in game on ipad.. just curious to check it....??

Regards,
AN

FusionX91

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2020
Im a hard core pubg player. I bought the new ipad air 2020 as well just to see choppy gameplay. I was trying my best to troubleshoot but couldn’t. You guys have no idea how happy i am to see this thread.

AppIeNoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2020
Im a hard core pubg player. I bought the new ipad air 2020 as well just to see choppy gameplay. I was trying my best to troubleshoot but couldn’t. You guys have no idea how happy i am to see this thread.
i know the feeling bro, that's why i created this thread to check with fellow forum members if this issue is common and keeping others informed.

initially i thought i got a defective device as even on internet nobody is raising this issue. but after checking with other members seems like its just a issue of optimization. i also found some tweets of TechTablet regarding performance issue in A14 bionic due to thermal throttling but strangely nobody is taking about it.

here is the link where you can check the tweet regarding thermal throttle of A14 :
Hope it helps.

macdogpro

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2020
Just wondering, how you guys enjoying playing FPS games (or any type of games) using touch screen on the iPad screen?
I tried, but never really get the hang of it, the size of the 11” screen, the on-screen button layouts, cramps my fingers ?

So just waiting hopelessly for a controller support on these games (especially Genshin Impact), let alone keyboard and pointer support.
Luckily both the gameplay and controller support on CoD Mobile is great.

AppIeNoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2020
Just wondering, how you guys enjoying playing FPS games (or any type of games) using touch screen on the iPad screen?
I tried, but never really get the hang of it, the size of the 11” screen, the on-screen button layouts, cramps my fingers ?

So just waiting hopelessly for a controller support on these games (especially Genshin Impact), let alone keyboard and pointer support.
Luckily both the gameplay and controller support on CoD Mobile is great.
with practice you will get used to it and in my opinion its better than controller because precision using touch seems better to me comparing to a controller (maybe i have not played with controller enough :) )

Last edited:
Reactions: macdogpro

AppIeNoob

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2020
Just a update guys : i have updated my ipad air 2020 to ipados 14.2 this morning and now even the pubg mobile beta version slutter and frame drop crazily. o_Oo_Oo_O

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.