Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

west_mon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2021
(sorry for the bad English) Is normal for a iPad Air 2020 to have a shadow along the left side of the screen ?
(in this picture is up because is in landscape mode)

up2.png

• Sad
Reactions: dougeureka

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Probably not normal. How long have you had it? If under a year, let an authorized Apple tech have a look at it.

west_mon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2021
Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies. The iPad cames with the problem right out the box, I didn’t pay it attention at first, but it started to be annoying when using the iPad at the night. I use a lens and noticed that is not a problem of the pixels, is more like a problem with the screen lamination, screen seems to be bend behind the glass.
Anyway, I maked and appointment with apple service, I gonna keep updating.

Reactions: dougeureka

ChrisNvos

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2021
Hey guys I just bought an ipad air 4. After opening it I realised that the screen’s edge on the middle of the right side (just over the pencil charger) is not flush with the metal body but slightly recessed. it is recessed to the point that when i applied a tempered glass, the screen protector at that point of the screen was flush with the metal body of the ipad whereas on all the screen edge all around the device the screen protector sits higher than the bezzle. Is this normal? Do your ipads have it?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
the screen’s edge on the middle of the right side (just over the pencil charger) is not flush with the metal body but slightly recessed. it is recessed to the point that when i applied a tempered glass, the screen protector at that point of the screen was flush with the metal body of the ipad whereas on all the screen edge all around the device the screen protector sits higher than the bezzle. Is this normal? Do your ipads have it?
That is not normal. If the alignment at a mid-point is different than at the corners, something is warped. You should take it to an Apple store and have them look at it. (It would be better to start a new topic for your issue. You will capture more attention for your specific problem with a topic name that calls attention to it.)

KlaudiusR

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2021
(sorry for the bad English) Is normal for a iPad Air 2020 to have a shadow along the left side of the screen ?
(in this picture is up because is in landscape mode)

View attachment 1725165

I'm also having this issue on my iPad Air 2020 (bought a month ago, I'm living in Vietnam if that matters). I didn't notice at first when I first opened it straight out of the box and use it for several weeks. Until recently, I noticed that the left edge of the screen (the one that is not with the magnet for charging the Apple Pencil) seems different from the 3 other edges. I try googling these past few weeks but didn't see any picture with this issue, until now.

And it is as
Hey guys I just bought an ipad air 4. After opening it I realised that the screen’s edge on the middle of the right side (just over the pencil charger) is not flush with the metal body but slightly recessed. it is recessed to the point that when i applied a tempered glass, the screen protector at that point of the screen was flush with the metal body of the ipad whereas on all the screen edge all around the device the screen protector sits higher than the bezzle. Is this normal? Do your ipads have it?

said. My iPad also has it. When I focus my eyes to look at it, I can see that the upper-left corner and the lower-left corner is as normal as the 3 other edges. It's like only a portion of this left edge is pressed down, not the whole edge. And I had only noticed it after I just applied a new tempered glass screen onto the screen. So I don't know whether it was because of the tempered glass or the screen itself.

Hi everyone. Thanks for the replies. The iPad cames with the problem right out the box, I didn’t pay it attention at first, but it started to be annoying when using the iPad at the night. I use a lens and noticed that is not a problem of the pixels, is more like a problem with the screen lamination, screen seems to be bend behind the glass.
Please do. I plan on having my iPad checked at the authorized Apple Care in Vietnam next week (I would rather have it checked immediately but due to Lunar New Year Holiday, it's impossible right now).

To tell the truth, I kinda satisfy with my iPad, until I notice this issue. The screen doesn't even have a backlight bleeding issue and it looked good until I notice this "recess edge" defect on the screen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taniaaaaaaa

KlaudiusR

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2021
No, it’s not normal. I‘ve changed for two time and I still have the same problem. Don’t say sorry about the language ;-)
Just want to ask, You did return and exchange it twice and it still occurred on the 3rd exchanged iPad? And what did you do after that? Just live with it? And What did Apple Care service told you?

I still have works to do on my iPad so wouldn't like them to keep my iPad for "further investigation". If they're not gonna exchange it for a new one immediately, I really think that I would live with it...

west_mon

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2021
Will they replace it? If we ask for exachange?
Well, I ask for a replacement in March and they change the iPad, but the new one have the same problem. I’m probably gonna ask for a new replacement on August

Taniaaaaaaa

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2021
Probably they will. I've just received the iPad, noticed the problem and then I returned it to Apple. They returned the money.
I see, so its a common problem…
Its so disapointing how high end brand like apple have an issue like this, it shouldnt happen

lybentius

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2021
I have the same issue. Any updates?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.