Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AjTee

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 17, 2018
Gdańsk, Poland
Which version you recommend?

I will use it for movies, Netflix, internet browsing, some games, watching photos in Photos app and Apple TV +

bodonnell202

macrumors 68030
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Depends if you plan on storing a lot of movies, Netflix content and photos on your iPad or it will be mostly streaming movies/Netflix and browsing photos stored in iCloud (or some other cloud based photo storage). If it is mostly streaming then 64 GB is probably enough.

Reactions: snipr125

locovaca

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2002
Iowa
You can never upgrade storage down the road. I’ve yet to buy a device that I decided had too much space; I’ve had lots that I decided had too little.

Reactions: rui no onna

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
You can never upgrade storage down the road. I’ve yet to buy a device that I decided had too much space; I’ve had lots that I decided had too little.
You can however use USB-C drives for some storage needs, but not for everything.

Reactions: snipr125

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
From $599 for 64GB to $749 256GB I would invest that $150 for 4x the storage. This is somewhat pricey iPad and the extra storage will probably be welcome in the years down the road. I would think the plans for this type of iPad is to keep it over 3 years.

Freida

Suspended
Oct 22, 2010
Do you have an iPad now? or Iphone? How much storage are you using right now?

It seems to me that 64gb is fine. I use it for the same on my iPad Air 2 (which I will upgrade with this new one) and out of 64gb i have 25gb free. Never really had an issue with space. My iPhone SE2 is 128GB and 60GB is free so it wouldn't work with 64gb but that is mainly because I don't organise pictures, videos etc. much. If I did I guess it could be ok but because I store everything on the iPhone and not everything on the iPad so its totally ok.

To give you better answer you should be a little more specific but from what you've said so far, 64gb is fine.

I wouldn't listen to the argument like "for this amount of $ you get x amount of storage" as that argument is irrelevant. Upselling is not a solution here. You always want to get a device that fits your needs for the planned usage. Just becuase something is cheap in general doesn't mean its the right choice. In fact, if you apply that upselling mentality and I don't then my 5th iPad will be free whilst you will have to pay for it. So you can think of it this way : )

So please provide more info if you want better answer or go for the 64gb. IN few years time you will upgrade it and by then the base model will be again different so you will have natural progression.

Let us know : )

I will use it for movies, Netflix, internet browsing, some games, watching photos in Photos app and Apple TV +

Reactions: sracer

AutomaticApple

Suspended
Nov 28, 2018
Massachusetts

Well, it sounds like the 256GB option would definitely be more suitable if youre using the iPad for media consumption and storing games.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
And you're a person who is confident in what storage amount is right for you. The OP is not there yet. :)

It is the "fear of running out" that Apple counts on to entice customers to part with more of their money. Based on the OP's expected usage, 64GB seem like it would be sufficient.

Before 64GB became the base storage option on iPads, people were critical of 32GB and wanted 64GB to be the base.... and as is human nature, soon after 64GB was the base, the drumbeat of "64GB is not enough" began.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Really depends on whether you download or just stream, and how many and how large your games are.

My dad doesn't download anything so he can actually get by on 32GB with similar usage as above (no gaming, though).

My mom likes to carry some TV series on her iPad when she travels so 128GB is a better fit. She still uses an iPad Pro 9.7 128GB and I don't think she'll ever upgrade. I'd gift her a new one but she'd prefer to just get cash.

Me? I'm a data hoarder (got a 20TB NAS at home). I always want to have a good selection of entertainment available in case I have slow or no internet connection so I tend to go for top storage.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Before 64GB became the base storage option on iPads, people were critical of 32GB and wanted 64GB to be the base.... and as is human nature, soon after 64GB was the base, the drumbeat of "64GB is not enough" began.
The issue is it's 64GB then 256GB. You either get a lot or a little. There's no moderate inbetween. Apple want people who want more than 64 to shell out for 256. There's no 128 option which a lot of people are not happy about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.